Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By richie Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:15 pm
Having critique on a Rhythm Roulette is normal but no one can ever sh*t on what Nottz has done and does on a whole. Have any of you seen his daily beat videos from 2015?
By peeping tom Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:11 am
"I'm kinda thinking he pre picked those records.

Also, the Herbie Hancock Headhunter song Sly he weakly flipped should never be touched, it's a perfect beat as is. That's like sampling a Pete Rock beat. :WTF:"

BRUH its Watermelon man.

Zen Guitar (Dilla) is the ONLY flip,
By peeping tom Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 am
man these dudes gotta start getting given records for it that a stranger picked up from a thrift store.
all these guys are pulling out classics that have been done to death. I like the ELP style one, he just grabbed records and they were shit but he still came up with something.
By mr_debauch Sun May 01, 2016 5:22 pm
yeah it looks that way... but at the same time, it's not like they are pulling records from the dollar bins, they are in the section where it's 100% records with guaranteed samples... stuff that is classic that has been used 10 million times etc. They never are blind folded in front of the hair metal section.

and nottz has made **** dope music over the years...
By peeping tom Tue May 03, 2016 6:18 am
no doubt, Not disrespect to Nottz at all, dude is a beast - just would of liked to see him work a bit harder for the beats (which i am sure he is no stranger to).
By mr_debauch Tue May 03, 2016 8:42 am
yeah... i mean i would have thought it might be best if they actually did 2 or 3 takes drawing records (in case they don't know the records) to guarantee there will be something usable.. so no time is wasted (filming and the producer's time) .. how often have you grabbed 3 records from your vinyl shelf and heard **** all that's usable? Who knows.. it is a cool video series. it's a game that caught on with producers being the star of the show.
By Wal Martian Tue May 03, 2016 7:47 pm
mr_debauch wrote:how often have you grabbed 3 records from your vinyl shelf and heard **** all that's usable?

Depends on what type of stuff you buy and put on said shelf... if you know what you're doing when digging the crates you will definitely find something usable out of 3.
By richie Tue May 03, 2016 10:00 pm
What I find amusing is Nottz said that he had 2 of the 3 records, so he's already familiar with that sh*t anyway.

I've said it before, my only gripe with these roulette series are when producers go straight to the soul section. I guess they're reluctant for sh*t to backfire on them like when Cardiak got upset that he picked some 90's r&b records and ended up responding to youtube commenters that were dissing the beats he did. Personally, I don't think what he did was wack and the fact he's got the notoriety and can make a living off making beats is answer enough. We all know there are a lot of duds before we get what we're happy with.
By mr_debauch Wed May 04, 2016 4:44 am
Wal Martian wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:how often have you grabbed 3 records from your vinyl shelf and heard **** all that's usable?

Depends on what type of stuff you buy and put on said shelf... if you know what you're doing when digging the crates you will definitely find something usable out of 3.

I guess that is where the roulette part comes in..

but yeah that is true, if you hand picked every record in your collection and haven't already sampled all the good usable stuff then for sure. I guess i was thinking more about a bulk of my records that I didn't pick but rescued from the curb on a rainy day. I couldn't save them all.. but I got about 600 or 800 or so.
By peeping tom Wed May 04, 2016 5:39 am
i personally like the idea of someone else buying you records and you buying them a few and swapping records.
Watching a Beat video (may have been "behind closed doors ") where a few UK producers did it, came out pretty cool.
By richie Wed May 04, 2016 8:12 pm
@peeping tom, I really enjoyed the series you're talking about. I really wonder what happened because there were tons of videos related to that UK/Scottland/Ireland scene that just instantly stopped.
By mr_debauch Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 pm
yeah the series "beat this" stopped too... that was the one with the 10 minute timer and mainly UK people. Then the channel became almost entirely live grime and garage sets i think.
By richie Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 am
I notice there's never really been much beat videos from people in Canada. The only one I'd see really putting them out was dubs banger.
By mr_debauch Thu May 05, 2016 5:21 am
if i lived in canada and made videos then that might contribute...
By peeping tom Thu May 05, 2016 9:27 am
richie wrote:@peeping tom, I really enjoyed the series you're talking about. I really wonder what happened because there were tons of videos related to that UK/Scottland/Ireland scene that just instantly stopped.

yeah and from memory the guys had insane beats.
Loved watching the pete cannon stuff, dude is a lord.

I was all released by louis den or something i think, maybe they just releasing music?

https://louisden.bandcamp.com/