Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By justineastwick Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:51 pm
Was doing some e-sampling into my MPC Live - was wondering if I should start doing mono instead of stereo, or does it make any difference? Does anybody else prefer stereo over mono?
By JUKE 179r Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm
For deeper bass tones, sample in mono.
By Lampdog Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:21 pm
Use stereo when your sample requires stereo movement.
By Living Bate Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm
When you get those old split stereo records record them in stereo for sure. Sometimes you can really isolate elements and remove existing drums etc
By peterpiper Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 pm
I record the audio in stereo and also save as a stereo file. But when it's time to use the sample I often find myself using just one side of the sample or combine left and right to mono. Depends what sounds best in context with the rest of the beat.
But no matter how I use and save it for THIS beat, I will always keep the original (stereo) audiofile in my library cause I might use it in another way on the NEXT beat.

(although this is most flexible, it is also a bad habbit. It reminds me on an article I read a few weeks ago about different ways of production in europe and the usa. The producer (a european) said that every time he visit studios in the usa many producers/engineers record the stuff already processed with EQ, Compressor etc it seems like they already have that clear picture in mind how it sound in the end while many european producers keep it more flexible and record it pure to keep all the possibilities for mixing for later.) Don't take that too serious tho. It is just the opinion and the experience of that one producer.

peace
By Living Bate Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 pm
peterpiper wrote:I record the audio in stereo and also save as a stereo file. But when it's time to use the sample I often find myself using just one side of the sample or combine left and right to mono. Depends what sounds best in context with the rest of the beat

essential in my opinion....

it can open up so many doors
By Fanu Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm
Never forget to check mono compatibility…i.e., play your stereo stuff in mono – your whole song in mono – and see if stereo sounds seem to lose level when monoed. If they do, make the track/song mono, push the level up till it's good in mono, then switch song back to stereo, and reduce stereo width if necessary.
Mono sampling ensures great mono power because you'll make sure your levels come out good in mono.
You'll find that every great mix translates well in mono.

In sample packs, you'll often find sounds that are very wide for the sake of wow factor (and to make you buy it) but not all of them go into mono very well. So be aware of that. I do a lot of quite mono stuff and then add stereo widening in mixing once mono levels are right.
By Ill-Green Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm
I always sample in mono, I get freedom control of panning it around your head like Richochet Rabbit. My master will be in stereo anyway. I'm just old school like that I guess.