Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By thelox10 Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:25 pm
Sup guys...

I'll make it short: Is there a special way to remove a sound/sample from a song?
For example I listened to a Mobb Deep song and I wanted to know whats the sample...
So I did my research and realized that the sound is actually in the background and got drums and bass all over it. So I wondered: How the **** did hav extract dat sound so clearly... how did he remove the drums etc. from that sound? was there a special way or machine back then?

I hope u guys know what I am talking about

Peace n Love from Germany
By terry towelling Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 am
what's the mobb track? what's the song that was sampled? did it come out as a 12" with different mixes? could be the sample came from a mix with the material "open". otherwise, it used eq/filters to cut out as much as possible (but not all) the drums and bass. no special machine form back inthe days. eqing wouldn't't remove all the drums and bass, but when you layer other sounds over the top you don't notice them.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm
thelox10 wrote:Sup guys...

I'll make it short: Is there a special way to remove a sound/sample from a song?
For example I listened to a Mobb Deep song and I wanted to know whats the sample...
So I did my research and realized that the sound is actually in the background and got drums and bass all over it. So I wondered: How the **** did hav extract dat sound so clearly... how did he remove the drums etc. from that sound? was there a special way or machine back then?

Remove the sugar from a baked cookie
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Lampdog wrote:
thelox10 wrote:Sup guys...

As tedious this may sound, but its exactly what you have to do. Melodyne and Ableten are the only ones I know that can do it. A 3 second sample will cost you 6 hours of mouseclicking though. Its not perfected but if you can tolerate half your life spent removing samples from samples, then you do whatcha gotta.
By thelox10 Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:59 pm
Aight i gotcha...

Im driving myself insane with the samples to make it sound perfect :)

Thank you guys for the help

By Lampdog Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Melodyne

I've used Melodyne a long while back and yes it works to a certain extent. Add other
sounds behind and around it and you'd hardly notice the left over artifacts.
By peterpiper Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:26 am
Ill-Green wrote:

As tedious this may sound, but its exactly what you have to do. Melodyne and Ableten are the only ones I know that can do it. A 3 second sample will cost you 6 hours of mouseclicking though. Its not perfected but if you can tolerate half your life spent removing samples from samples, then you do whatcha gotta.[/quote]

I'll do it in 5:30 I use CoolEd....well I mean Adobe Audition :)
There is also a software specialized for this task but who want to pay nearly a G or so for that (price is from a few years back when it came out)

@thelox10: where do you get the info from that this MobbDeep track sampled that Isaac Hayes track? Are you sure that this is correct?

peace
By richie Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm
I'm pretty sure that Crime Connection is sampled from the Love Story OST.
By Wal Martian Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:10 pm
You can remove sounds from a song using "phase inversion". Taking a waveform of an identical sound and flipping the polarity and summing the two sound together. This is how alot of the DIY acapellas are made. Another application that can do it is Izotope RX. It includes tools like hum remover, declipper, declicker etc. You can lasso around sounds in the frequency spectrum and lower their amplitude.