Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By oldskl1 Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm
What do you guys think about the production over the past few years with some certain artists.

these are some of my favorite artists at the moment and I love the beats, BUT when you look into the production it has to be the laziest style ever and it has me questioning why these producers are regarded highly.

Simply looping a sample, thoughts?

By MrDismal Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:18 am
I think it's more sample choice, and it's definitely an art form in itself digging and looping/chopping the samples.
It took me a little while to get in to it, but I love that style now. Apollo Brown did a whole album with Planet Asia drumless, and it was dope as hell.
By Keith's Lard Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 pm
I've nothing against it when it's done right - some of my favourite music from the past few years has been that style but It's really dependent on sample choice and the rapper for me...I can happily listen to Roc Marci, KA and Willie the Kid all day and they go drumless quite often. I have difficulty listening to lesser rappers using that style though....when maybe some dope drums might hide some sins.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:18 am
MrDismal wrote:I think it's more sample choice, and it's definitely an art form in itself digging and looping/chopping the samples.
It took me a little while to get in to it, but I love that style now. Apollo Brown did a whole album with Planet Asia drumless, and it was dope as hell.

Apollo is an exception to the rule.

DRUMS, I need them.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:38 am
Yeah art is to the ear of the beholder. Some like it, some don't. For me, it paying homage to diggin' like rappers mention pop culture names in verses.

Best to do your thing at all times.
By Pimp_Mantle Fri May 04, 2018 4:30 pm
I believe beats without drums could be dope but yet i cant name a good example. The only one i can think of quick is "All that i got is you" with Ghostface but that still contain a kickdrum and some tambourines I think. I love beats when you only can hear some low end of kick and snare glued to the melody-samples.
By golden-era Fri May 04, 2018 6:09 pm
Personally since you asked for an opinion I think it's wack as FK to loop a sample and not add drums behind it. I also don't like most current hip hop in full disclosure.

How can that even be classified as beat making or sampling? With zero manipulation to the sound you did nothing of value that a DAW loop finder couldn't do in 10 seconds. Yeah garbage.
By Bezo Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm
I could've sworn I posted in this thread...

Jay West does this. Check his collaboration albums with Blu, O.C. & A.G.

I can dig it for a song or 2 at a time. I wouldn't want to hear an entire album of this. That's what other genres with more dynamic playing are for.
golden-era wrote:Personally since you asked for an opinion I think it's wack as FK to loop a sample and not add drums behind it. I also don't like most current hip hop in full disclosure.

How can that even be classified as beat making or sampling? With zero manipulation to the sound you did nothing of value that a DAW loop finder couldn't do in 10 seconds. Yeah garbage.
I find the more cheat codes included in today's products allows for anyone to create something that sounds like a song. But there's always someone higher up on the skill chain feeling the same about you/me. Many traditional musicians look at the use of samplers, VIs, etc., thinking how much easier it must be.

And you got digging vs buying packs, sampling vs keyboard beats, and so on.
By MrDismal Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 am
golden-era wrote:Personally since you asked for an opinion I think it's wack as FK to loop a sample and not add drums behind it. I also don't like most current hip hop in full disclosure.

How is it not sampling? You basically answered you're own question in your first paragraph.
Again, I think it's dope... like anything it's personal taste.
By oldskl1 Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm glad im not the only one 8)
By ringmaker Sat May 26, 2018 5:34 pm
haha „all that i got is you“ blew my **** mind! there‘s also a ghostface track where he raps over a soul instrumental. not even a loop. cant remember the name. awesome!

i always loved this style. rza maybe was the first to do it, but i think donuts really was the breakthrough for this style.

when i did it in the late 90s early 2000s, most people didn‘t really get it at the time „is that all?“, „no drums?“, „somethings missing“ :Sigh: but people like dilla, madlib, riggins, marciano, ka, westside gunn, god fahim, ray west, etc really are a big inspirations to me

adding drums that sound like it’s part of the sample, low end theory, just some soft kicks to give it some bottom end, or no drums at all. and most of the time it isn‘t just looping, it’s a lot of cutting and pasting, but if it‘s done well, it sounds like a simple loop.

nothing to do with lazyness. on the contrary. it takes experience, sensitivity and good taste. kind of the opposite to the steam hammer boombap everybody and his dog is making today, which imo is lazy and the easy way. take a random sample slap random drums on it, et voila, it‘s hiphop :roll:
By Lampdog Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm
ringmaker wrote:take a random sample slap random drums on it, et voila, it‘s hiphop :roll:

Wrong. It’s not hiphop just because of that. Just your perspective.
By ringmaker Sat May 26, 2018 7:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:
ringmaker wrote:take a random sample slap random drums on it, et voila, it‘s hiphop :roll:

Wrong. It’s not hiphop just because of that. Just your perspective.

:? you disagree? or you didn’t get the sarcasm and you agree? :lol: