Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Krack Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 pm
Recently reading a mixing and mastering website,
It was recomended to match the pitch of sampled drums to that of the pitch(s) in the rest of the song.
Does anyone really do this?
Or is this mentioned for slimmy textbook rigid commercial producers???
K
By madbeatz Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:38 pm
Krack wrote:Recently reading a mixing and mastering website,
It was recomended to match the pitch of sampled drums to that of the pitch(s) in the rest of the song.
Does anyone really do this?
Or is this mentioned for slimmy textbook rigid commercial producers???
K

for me, I only do this when the drum don't match with the sample, if it sounds strange or something... but not in generall... just me...

peace
By Jfalconcrest Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:22 pm
Awesome. I've been kind of wondering about that too. I only pitch the drums when I really REALLY like the sound of the drum but it feels a bit 'Off' with the rest...
By Heretic Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm
I think it's a stupid technique to use... Why? Because a drum is (95% of the time) an a-tonal instrument (I know theoretically ALL sounds contain tones at some level, but I'm talking realistically!).

So unless it's an 808 kick drum (or something like that) there's really no justifiable reason to attempt to pitch the drums to the sample. BUT as the above posters stated, it can be a very good idea to mess around with the drums' pitch to improve how they sound on top of the sample, but NOT necessarily till they match the sample's pitch.

That's my view on it :-)
By dtaa pla muk Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 pm
i feel like i've made this exact post before, but nah man. drums very much not atonal. cymbals, kicks, snares can/should be pitched until they sit better in the song. studio drummers have their kits tuned like crazy before recording.

this is as realistic as it gets here.

this is one of the most overlooked part of drum program building, and one of the first things one should do when dropping a drum sample into a melody. a drum isn't pitched "correctly" from the get go - if it's from a break from a song, those drums have been tuned for that song. if it's from a oneshot folder, who the heck knows where it comes from (or where it's been)

BUT as the above posters stated, it can be a very good idea to mess around with the drums' pitch to improve how they sound on top of the sample, but NOT necessarily till they match the sample's pitch.

that's the point, though - they won't sound good until they DO match the pitch in some way or another.

if you put a drum sound into an autochromatic pgm or inst pgm, you can play mary had a little lamb with it and people will instantly recognize the melody. this is evidence that drums do have a tone and this often makes a LOT of difference in how they sit on the sample/melody you've written.

furthermore, with layering, this gets doubly important - suddenly you don't have to think of just one drum hit's tuning, but two - and the relation between the two.

drum tuning is much overlooked.
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By itsowheeze Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:49 pm
yes drums are atonal. They dont have a specific pitch. U cannot put drums in key. You can only tune them to the way you want them to sound. So to elaborate on the persons previous posts if your drums sound a little bit out of tune with the song you can either pitch them up down to give them more of a blend to the song.
By eastcoast121 Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 am
Yo good post nym. listen if you just tune a one shot or watever (if its not on tune first) +10 or -10 itll be on key w the sample.

most songs are in a minor key or major key. so lets take like a minor key since i make most of my beats in a minor key.

lets just take A minor since its all natural notes.

A B C D E F G A is the scale (the letters indicate different pitches all of which are in key to the sample which means any one of those notes would sound good over the sample)

now say our one shot is a G#. it would only have to go up +10 to an A or down -10 to a G and it will be in tune. this works for any note in the scale. each note is only a whole step away if not a half.