Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Upright Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 pm
Mostly everyone knows that BeatMaker for the iPhone is on point but do Android users have anything comparable to Intua's BeatMakers? If you have a Android device,....speak up. :D
By Upright Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:12 pm
konc3pt wrote:
Upright wrote:I'll check it out. Thanks. :D

how is it ?

It's ok,....not sample based but pretty cool. I have to mess around with it more. Definitely can't do what BeatMaker but it is free soo....
By konc3pt Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:43 pm
Upright wrote:
konc3pt wrote:
Upright wrote:I'll check it out. Thanks. :D

how is it ?

It's ok,....not sample based but pretty cool. I have to mess around with it more. Definitely can't do what BeatMaker but it is free soo....

I downlaoded shortly after, it's coo...one thing I dont like about it right off the bat is you gotta hit save every time you wanna hear changes you made. preferably I'd like to have the sequencer running while editing...
By ivanm4k Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm
Su-Preme MPA: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... t.apps.mpa
is heavily inspired by MPC.

You can load your own samples, edit them, record tracks and sequences just like on MPC, and build songs from sequences via a grid-based Song Editor.

You can also try the Lite version before you buy the full one: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... s.mpa.beta

I am one of the authors of the app (the other one is Supreme of Wu-Tang Clan fame). Feel free to contact me for any questions.
By Kilowax Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 am
MPA is cool. Sample based... Lacks some feature i.e MIDI ex/import, tap tempo, 1/4(3)-1/8(3)-1/16(3)-1/32(3) quantize...

But it's an effort! Running smoothly on my GT-1000
By Heretic Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 am
Yo, Akai and Android heads!

I just compiled a short but greatly explained list of essential apps for beat-making/music production on Android apps - ... yes I have too much spare-time! :-) These are what you need in MY experience, but there are many more apps out there, so YMMV. Check it out!

ESSENTIAL APPS FOR BEAT-MAKING ON ANDROID DEVICES:

- DAW: Caustic (Single Cell Software ©)

Caustic is a DAW - an absolutely brilliant rack-based Reason-clone with a very nice-looking OpenGL GUI. The virtual rack contains the following units: one SubSynth, PCMSynth 1 and PCMSynth 2, Bassline 1 and Bassline 2, one BeatBox, a mixer and a piano-roll/sequencer. Botht the PCMSynths and the BeatBox can be used for .wav-samples. The PCMSynths can load .wav's and with the default settings you can play back the .wav's as loops if their BPM = your Caustic project file's BPM. The real treat for samplers, though, is the BeatBox. It's a "drum sampler" that contains 8 slots. It comes with a lot of kits (808, 909, etc.), but you can easily load your own samples into each of the 8 slots and save it as a kit. This is IMO the over-all best music production app for Android. NB: I have e-mailed a little with the creator, and he's ATM in the beginning stages of working on an MPC-style unit in the virtual rack consisting of maybe 8 or 12 pads. At least that's what he wrote to me.

- Sampler: Su-Preme MPA (BOOM BAPPZ ©)

For pure sample-based, boombap hip-hop beat-making, this is the #1 app for Android. It's a great, faithful emulation of the MPC "invented" (although not programmed) by earlier Sunz of Man-producer Su-Preme. It currently lacks a few features that would be useful, but they are working on implementing them (the last time we got a 'Song Mode'), but as it is right now you basically have everything you need to make a dope MPC-ish beat. I think it's even better if you use it in combination with Caustic. Make the drum loops, and chopped sample melodies in MPA, save it and export it as .wav-files. Then load them up in the PCMSynth (or BeatBox) in Caustic and loop 'em. Now you can continue working on the beat, but with the additional synthesizer-, mixer- and piano-roll tools available in Caustic. You're just able to make more complete songs if you combine the two apps.

- Audio editor: TapeMachine (Samalyse ©)

A very advanced sample editor/recorder for what you can expect at this point in the development of Android audio apps. You can process the audio-file, trim, chop, set loop-start and end points, save as .wav-file, etc. etc.! Also comes with a very handy recorder widget that allows you to record your vinyl player playing by one click on the widget, and then afterwards open the recording in the main TapeMachine with one click more, and process it from there. The third needed essential app to use with Caustic and Su-Preme MPA.

- Sampler: Electrum Drum Machine (nikotwenty ©)

If Su-Preme's MPA is the equal of an MPC1000, then nikotwenty's Electrum is the equal of an SP-1200. It also looks great! I prefer the MPA, because frankly it is more powerful in the long run, but they are both beasts in their own right, and both are definitely worth checking out.

- Sample slicer: Sonic Chop Sampler (nikotwenty ©)

Developed by nikotwenty (who also made the first GOOD sequencer for Android: ReLoop, and the first GREAT drum sampler: Electron which to this day has still only been beaten by MPA). Sonic Chop is basically a beat slicer you can use to slice up your sample. You can either chop up what you have recorded with the Android phone mic, or import an MP3 file to wave, then chop it up and save the slices piece by piece. Very handy tool for slicing a sample into, say, 12 or 16 chops before throwing them into Su-Preme MPA. So make this the 4th app to use in combination with Caustic, Su-Preme MPA and TapeMachine.

- Virtual DJ app: DJStudio 3 (Beattronic ©)

Recently released in its 3rd version, this is thee quintessential DJ app for Android. With better stability and speed, you could rock a party with it definity, or make a mix-CD - although it takes practice. You don't learn this app in 10 minutes. But if you have a stable, dual-CPU Android smartphone, this really might be for you. Ideal if you want to mix beats together you've made in Caustic for example. ALL other virtual DJ apps suck - this one is so far ahead of the competition. And it looks great as well.

OTHER BEAT-MAKING RELATED ANDROID APPS WORTH CHECKING OUT:

- Audio rap battle app: Rah Digga's Straight Spittin (Appalachian Apps, LLC ©)

- DAW: Uloops Studio Pro (SoundBits ©)

- Groovebox: RD3 (mikrosonic ©)

- Sampler: SPC (mikrosonic ©)

- Wifi MIDI controller app: TouchDAW (humatic ©)

- Wifi MIDI controller app: TouchOSC (hexler ©)

That's all, folks!
By planeth Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:14 am
Give G-Stomper a try. It's an Electribe like 11-Track Drum Machine with a powerful effect chain (3 processors, 1 master processor, 17 effect types). Live Pattern Arranger, Song Mode, Motion Sequencing, Audio import/export, SoundCloud integration, and much more. Available at google market (free demo and full (paid) version).

http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper
By fawn Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:32 pm
Plus one on g-stomper -- I've been having a lot of fun on that. Total X0X style electribe and you can throw in yr own samples. I also like nodebeat, which is like a more complex / variable version of bloom (by eno) on iOS.
By crowcrow Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am
Nice one for the lists - I tried Su-Preme MPA on my Dell Streak - can tell it's going to be good but uninstalled and refunded for now as the Streak just isn't fast enough - the latency was just a touch too much.

Will def be buying it again though when I upgrade my phone or get the tablet I keep thinking of!

Will check out the others now and see if they are Streak friendly.
By MeRCwerX Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:55 pm
None, android has too much latency for real-time tap entry of notes on pads. The different apps lisred in this thread may work for step entry and as editors.