Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Larrygates Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 am
Quick question dubs. I saw you were selecting start and end points without the jog wheel. Were you using the slider toward the bottom left if the machine or something else. I was wondering since I want to do this on the 4000 but if it's just the q link sliders then that's possible on the 4000. It'd be great if it were a way to pick sample points with the pads but I'm sure that wasn't what you were doing. Thanks, and appreciate the video

[rant]And yes HW of many types is great since they're little dedicated simple computer made for doing certain musical tasks. Just put that out there that it's pretty much all computers, just mainly I hate using Linux, windows 7, os x, unix, when trying to think musically.[/rant]

Dubs Banger wrote:I explain how to chop up DRUM BREAKS and how to layer and make them sound thick and full.

Video comes with a download which can be found here ----> http://www.mediafire.com/?7dr6nfgvfa0mjfu You can download it and follow along on how to chop up the drum break.

VIDEO HERE ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRafmJpTbX0

For more VIDEOS go to http://www.youtube.com/dubsbanger
By peterpiper Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:47 pm
He used the shift + NV slider technique. One of the two things I really would like to have on the 2000 classic :(
I dont know if this function has made it to the 4000 but I'm pretty sure there is a workaround with an external controller (Fader or Modulation wheel of a keyboard or touchpad) and CC or sysex commands.

peace
By Dubs Banger Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:35 pm
cyrus wrote:vid was good tho. i learned something new. I always chopped the hats and used 16 levels to get velocity in my hihat patterns (still will), but never thought about splitting the channels. the way you showed, you can get both velocity differances and slightly differant tones, adding a whole bunch of variation in your hats. combine that with 16 level velocity and you got some tools to really add tons of variation in just the hihats to get that bounce.

this technique could be useful on snares too. to add some variation to your snares. you know, dilla style, where every so often theres slight variation in snare hit to accent the beat

thanks fam im glad you learned something to add to your won techniques, that was the whole point of the video. Dilla did some crazy shit. Him and MadLib are my favourite producers right now.

nod records wrote:it's all about sound shaping and layering to get your own unique drums sounds, no matter what you use.
good work on the video!

Marco Polo is dope on the 2000XL, Moss kills it on the old 2000 classic and Frank Dukes gets busy on the 2500.

sampling from records will never die.

thanks fam. Thats right everyone has their won piece and they kill it.

solo dolo wrote:Nice vid, props, str8 HH.. you want to look into replacing that screen soon though, it broke my heart to see them lines :(

LOL thanks fam. I know my screen is geting bad lines in it. They keep coming. Ill be using that xl until the screen falls off LOL. I can buy a new xl for the price of a screen so im going to just keep on bangin out on it until it blows up.
By Dubs Banger Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:18 am
klassik.one wrote:seriously....if you cant figure out how to chop up a drum break after reading the manual for your mpc then you shouldnt be making beats. why do we always gotta be teaching lazy kids how to do the most simple tasks.

Sometimes people dont think outside the box. When you chop up your sample in the XL it only shows you the one side to your stereo sample.

THE MANUAL DOES NOT TELL YOU TO SEPERATE A STEREO SAMPLE AND LAYER DRUMS TOGETHER FULL A MORE THIKER FULLER SOUND!

Im just opening eyes up to a better way of production
By Blue Haze Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:04 am
Dubs Banger wrote:
klassik.one wrote:seriously....if you cant figure out how to chop up a drum break after reading the manual for your mpc then you shouldnt be making beats. why do we always gotta be teaching lazy kids how to do the most simple tasks.

Sometimes people dont think outside the box. When you chop up your sample in the XL it only shows you the one side to your stereo sample.

THE MANUAL DOES NOT TELL YOU TO SEPERATE A STEREO SAMPLE AND LAYER DRUMS TOGETHER FULL A MORE THIKER FULLER SOUND!

Im just opening eyes up to a better way of production

Co sign 8)
By mr_debauch Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:37 pm
well it sometimes works out for the better teaching somebody a new trick or two.

I have a friend who has an mpc (a model I dont and never have owned) however I showed him a few things to start off and I explained what it is you are trying to do on the mpc... so I showed him the basics of sampling, trimming, and recording some sequences... showed him the tracks which open the door for track mutes.

now after the dude owned the machine for quite some time and never could get started on the machine he is using it all the time and is even showing me how to do a bunch of stuff on it.

Those few small hints in the beginning broke the ice of him using the machine.

but then you got those people who want to know what mpc to buy, what record player to buy, what records to buy, what songs to take samples from, and where to place their start and end points on the sample.
By mp3 Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:32 pm
The game has certainly changed... When I was coming up as a producer in the mid 90s there wasn't youtube, internet forums, mp3 downloads, free sample packs, etc. I had my homie who had an SP-1200, an ASR-10, and a TT and that was my only resource. And although he was very encouraging (he even loaned me his SP 12 for a year when he got his 1200) he wasn't about to show me a damn thing.

His reason was that I had to learn the machine MY way and understand it MY way in order to get MY creativity out of it. And he also said he wasn't giving me no records or samples or nothing. Basically for the same reason; I had to use MY ears to find and choose samples that appealed to ME and allow ME to express MY creativity MY way. And i couldn't do nothing but respect that and put my own work in. That was 15 years ago.

I had some homies who wanted to get into production about 8 or 9 yeas ago, so I said I would show them the ropes. And I did. Turns out that, in the long run, I retarded their growth as artists and producers... Because I allowed them to use me and my ears and techniques as a crutch, so they didn't learn things for themselves. Not saying that everyone is like that, but some people will have initiative and some won't. Some people learn by reading, some by watching, some by doing. But everyone has to get their hands dirty to really internalize what they're learning. My nephew recently came and said he wanted to start producing on hardware. So I said cool, take my ASR-10, this printed manual and get to it; good luck. I'll be back for it in a year. IMO, thats the shortest route between A and B.

I'm a firm believer of people putting their own work in, but I also can't knock people for taking advantage of the resources that are now available, or the people that make the resources available. I guess its just a different era than the one I came up in... But like take for example this video. Its great for the newbie, but the risk is that he thinks that chopping each separate drum hit into a sample is the only way or correct way to do it, when its certainly not, because there is no correct way to do it. Sometimes i intentionally leave air in front of a sample. Sometimes i leave 2-3 separate hits in one chop.

But anyway, big props to anyone willing to take 15 minutes out of their lives and make a tutorial like this!
By starcrusher Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 am
mr_debauch wrote:^ that's a good way to look at it. I agree with that.

yeah i'm with him too. there's no 'one correct way' to do things. but at the same time i like to expose myself to as many people's techniques and ideas as possible, it opens my mind up to new things and combining different ideas into my style.
By Dubs Banger Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 am
this is a tutorial to open peoples' eyes to my way of doing drums. this was put out for people to take in my ways of doing things and TO APPLY TO YOUR OWN TECHNIQUES.

If youre a beginner, then take this in but always progress on the paths of production. There is no one specific way of doing thiings!!!

Production is endless and the ways to do it. Find your own "niche" and take it from there. This tutorial is just an eye opener on ways to produce music. you cal also apply these techniques to sample. Stereo seperation to the piano riffs and horns etc.....