Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By itchyvinyl Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:18 am
Hey guys, not to take sides, because I think both of you are saying some true things. My old group was signed on a major for several years (NOT EVEN trying to boast), when I lived near LA...and my experience was way more in line with the stuff that Richienunchucks is talkin. I have a lot of friends that were/are signed on majors also. Their experience was more in line with Richie's view as well.
You can argue about the money aspect of it, not all deals are the same whether it be indie or major. But if you value making your own decisions ,including musical/creative decisions, stick with the indies.
Unless you want to put up your own money to make your own record, and then try to shop a finished product to a major. I've seen that done too.
By Boogie Man Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:51 pm
KoolSha178 wrote:
Boogie Man wrote:but I do like Lee's mom from Beat Street said, "have something to fall back on"

Lee was in Wild Style. I'm an ex graff writer, i know all that ****.

:shock:

uh, sorry homes, Lee was in BEAT STREET. Lee was Double Ks(Kenny) brother who was the DJ. Lee was the breaker.

By maddog Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:56 am
the point system consist of 100% of an album broken down to the term 1% = 1 point.

on a major a new artist will get 12%-15% or royalty points per album sales
a mid level artist will get 16%-20% or royalty points per album sales
a high level artist will get 20%-30% or royalty points per album sales very rare unless your one of the industry top artist.
but the point scale goes up when your record sales go up, but this must be stated in your contract to get this scale.
12-15% for 0 to 500,000 album sales
16-20% for 500,000 to 5,000,000 album sales
20-30% for 5,000,000 or more album sales

on a indi your always stuck with a 10% royalty per album sales.
but don't for get that the producer gets 1%-5% for his royalty and that comes out of the artist share.
artist 16-20% minus producers 1-5% = less royalty the artist will get per album.
don't for get the artist has to pay management, producer if he does not recoup his royalty and (advance money). that comes out the artist share also.
major labels are not responsible for a producer and does not hire a producer for your albums it's your management job. the record label only fund the money fro the project in turn recoup the most money back from the artist.
basicly the more point out of 100% of a pie the label can take from the artist the more money they keep. and you go broke cause you have to pay back every dime. i could go deeper than this but you ask about the point system.

By freq Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:17 pm
?????????????

By freddy fresh Fri May 02, 2003 12:23 am
you need to own your own publishing
you need to own your music 100% and LEASE it to record labels
You need to get a lawyer
or youll get ****
I was with Sony 3 years
I got burned but I also got people to know my toons that never would have heard of me otherwise (as sony is HUGE)
there is a trade off
bottom line
run your own damn company and if you STICK with it you will EVENTUALLY get recognized
just takes time and patience and lots of beer