Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By poptsuj Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 am
sup guys!
as title..how can i make a tape saturation feelings??
i wanna my beats feel like 90's sound....

btw, anyone can recommend me a good tape sound & cheap cassette deck? plz!!

thanks so much
By bearhead Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 am
I started a thread on tape a while ago, so I don't see why you didn't ask the question there. If you're talking about using a plugin, that won't do you any good. If you want the sound of tape, you have to use tape. That's common sense, though. Anyway, what I like to do is track my mixdowns onto my Tascam 414 as a stereo mix, then bring up the audio with a limiter inside my DAW. That's on cassette, though. You get a much broader sound out of a 1/4 tape. But I think cassette would be more around the sound you're looking for.

I've not owned many tape recorders, but out of the ones I have owned, I highly recommend you look into a Marantz deck/portable. Make sure it's stereo, though. Otherwise, your mixes will come out mono. I have a mono portable, but I usually just stem my tracks from my daw that way... You just really need to experiment with different recorders and tapes using different techniques, and see what works for you.
By m56p87 Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Bear is right, if you want tape then use tape it's cheap and plentiful. However there are some great tape saturation plugins that give you punchy saturation without any of degradation of tape.

Do you want just saturation or that entire tape sound?
By JVC Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:47 pm
poptsuj wrote:...
as title..how can i make a tape saturation feelings??
i wanna my beats feel like 90's sound....

btw, anyone can recommend me a good tape sound & cheap cassette deck? plz!!

cheap cassette deck might give you unwanted results. First of all, new cassette tapes are increasingly hard to find, especially, for high bias tape, type II (chrome tape) and type III (metal tape), are very hard to find and expensive now (as far as I know, high bias tapes are no longer manufactured anywhere.) So if you have unused high-biased cassette tapes, you should hold on, or sell it on ebay, LOL!

Also using cassette adds wow and flutter on your production, which most likely you don't want.
Personally, I don't miss cassette sound, as I'm old enough to remember how underwhelming cassette sounded in general.

I think you should also consider:
1. Use high-quality DI box, like Radial ProD2 Passive Direct Box. Passive DI box should eliminate nasty clips on audio signal, and it can saturate audio signal too.
(I've never tried it though, I cannot afford it yet. Not resale value of good DI box is high.)

2. I use my old Numark DJ mixer's build-in 7-band EQ (back when they were manufactured in Japan), to get that punchy lo-fi sound. (By the way, I posted the repair process on MPC Forums, check it out, if you are interested.)

I used it on this video (shameless plug)

By m56p87 Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm
poptsuj wrote:@JVC: woooaahh! its dope beat&vid man..

so, if i wanna have tape saturation, must use the high bias tape, type II ?? right?

No the bias and what not is for capturing and retaining higher quality. The cassette deck will be the biggest deciding factor in saturation and accentuating the qualities of the tape. Infact since your just starting out I would find the opposite of high bias tape and practice using crap tape (getting the right levels, pre eq etc..) then find a nice high bias tape when your ready to bounce a finished mix.
By George-Matthews Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am
This list of tape saturation plugins is worth looking at, I own every one of them, I like to go for a similar approach to you in a complete 90's hip hop geek and love the warmth of analog, The best option, in my opinion, is Saturn by Fab filter which can be used both as distortion and tape saturation plugin!

https://www.yourlocalmusician.com/tape-saturation-plugins/

XLN-Audio's Retro Color is also an excellent option,

here's a product demo you can check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rr4Nn21uKA&t=18s