Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By PillsInfinity Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:48 am
:smoker: long time no see guys, i want to really get into using effects on my mpc 2500 and in my music in general and mess around with eq'ing mixing but im really trying to get a form of this watered down sound which ive always liked. if wanted my beats to sound like these in terms of distortion in the sample how would i go about that and or even go about getting that full type, soft resonant blissful lo fi but not poor quality sound, i already mess with low pass filters and what not but i dont ever get that result in softness. i also want to know if i'd have to do it during the process of making the beat or after. thank you.

to be more specific: how does one connect the resonance in the sample and the resonant in the bass to enhance the samples bassline in that lo fi sort of fashion

here are some examples of what i mean:

you hear the warmth and some of the distortion??

#

example of water down effect, mixing warm with fullness of drums

this has that lo fi water down sound and the warmth

but what also intrigues me is the softness of a resonating bass coming off the sample but hard drums in all these beats so far seem compressed in a certain fashion even, am i wrong (mixing and mastering noob tbh)

#4 https://soundcloud.com/chesterwatson/pharaoh

this example underlines the quality of sound im after but i just dont really dont know how to get there, the best i can descripe the sound is a steady warm bass that resonates with prominent drums, sounds pretty hazy and smokey but somewhat very refined

any help will be deeply appreciated, thank you
By Ill-Green Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 pm
I know what you speak of young grasshopper. Yes it does sound like water, but its not.

It is mere vinyl debris. The beats you posted were sampled from grimey, grungy, and dirty vinyl records making that snap cracle pop sound. Or a vst of vinyl simulation will do to.
By PillsInfinity Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I know what you speak of young grasshopper. Yes it does sound like water, but its not.

It is mere vinyl debris. The beats you posted were sampled from grimey, grungy, and dirty vinyl records making that snap cracle pop sound. Or a vst of vinyl simulation will do to.

no im not talking about the static , im talking about the sound inside of the sample where it seems where at points in the waves it seems tuned down to distortion
By drunkmonkey5556 Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:
no im not talking about the static , im talking about the sound inside of the sample where it seems where at points in the waves it seems tuned down to distortion

i know im like 2.5 years late on this question but i believe its an effect that is built into the SP-404, my friend who uses the 404 uses that effect a lot. i think its a flanger or chorus.
By MrDismal Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:19 am
303 or 404 will do any kind of lofi effect you need. I still don't know what he means when he describes "water" and "the sound inside of the sample where it seems where at points in the waves it seems tuned down to distortion" though.

????????????????

In terms of punchy drums, sidechain compress in your post production gives pumping effect and brings your drums alive even the most subtle, muddy drums.
By Wal Martian Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm
The similarities of these 4 examples sound to me like dirty vinyl samples, sampled in a lofi sampler or at a low sample rate. You won't achieve this by simply filtering out the high frequencies you need to sample low bit/sample rate from the jump.