Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By KiefLedger Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm
Can anyone help me recreate this type of kick?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQm3lcnGi_8

I've recently been getting my head around layering kicks and i think i'm either overthinking the process or i just don't understand it fully. I've been messing with the eqs and compression of two seperate kicks; one an 808 kick then another is one i've chopped from a break and i've messed around with ADSR settings too but i just can't get the sound i'm looking for

The one i've put as an example really cuts through and has its own 'popping' sound and I would just like to understand how the processing is done

Any help is appreciated, peace
By MrDismal Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:48 am
Doesn't sound like anything special dude.
If nothing is working, just try a different kick. Choose drums that are good quality, like buy a kit or something. That's the lazy way.

But you can get a dope kick by simple layering. You can layer as many as you want but they start sounding messy after 2 layers for me.
Low pass the **** outta 1 kick, so it's all low freq. Then layer another kick on top with a nice popping sound to it. Just experiment.

Use different monitors and headphones to reference too, because some obviously sound different frequency-wise. It may sound wack on 1 pair of speakers, but could sound dope in your headphones.

Oh one more thing, sometimes if I can't get kicks to pop, I'll sidechain compress.
By The Jackal Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:09 am
What I like about the 2000 XL is being able to hit a pad and trigger the sound on that one and two other sounds. I just think of the properties of a good kick and try to find 3 with individual elements I can mix well. There's usually something bassy or boomy in kicks for feel, then something with a good thud/thump to give it body, and then something for presence. Work with pitch & filtering to get them to sound as one, then I usually bounce 2 of the 3 out to one channel on the mixer; the other gets a channel to itself because I find it's just better to mix & EQ the boomy, bassy kick on it's own.