Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By kaos2wisdome Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:15 pm
Hey guys, im from taiwan and recently started making boom bap beats with my mpc1k.

I decided to make sampling the 70s-90s taiwanese music (which is mainly folk/pop/pop-rock) as my main goal. I know that these kind of music doesn't really bumps in the whip or anything crazy but grew up listening to my pops playing all these music really makes me want to pass on the heritage to the future generations.

My question is, should i start off with sampling and chopping soul/jazz/funk samples as it is much more easier compare to the other genres? Or should i stick with these folk/pop music?

My experience so far with these taiwanese folk/pop music is that its quite difficult to find a good 4 bar loop as taiwanese musics focus more on the vocal than the beat it self therefore usually only the prelude is good enough to chop as a loop.

I'm also thinking of doing what dj evil dee did on Cession at da doghillee which he focus more on the drums and bass sample(i suck at programing drums tho) and then throwing in the flute sample every few bars.

I will be more than appreciate for any feedbacks and hope yall dont mind with my grammar mistakes

Here are a few examples of what the taiwanese musics i'm referring to:

By Wal Martian Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:17 pm
Sampling is all about selecting sounds that appeal to your ear at that given moment in time, then making something out of them. Genre doesn't really come into play for me, although when I dig I know the types of records that I like sampling from. Sometimes I listen to 2 or 3 records before I find something I want to use.
By Living Bate Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 am
I think its refreshing to hear samples coming from unusual sources....

I don't get it why people would sample from well known (and rinsed) funk/soul records when there is such a wealth of vinyl heritage to choose from....