Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Living Bate Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am
Been working on a new track recently that I'm becoming quite happy with.....only I have an issue with the bass...

Its done with a VST and on the studio speakers being played out of the MPC Renaissance it sounds full, warm and lovely....but when I export it and play it in the car it makes the speakers rumble....

I don't really want to turn it down because it sits really nicely in the mix at home........but I want to process it in some way to keep the volume and feel, but take off the heaviness that is giving the car speakers grief....

I have EQ'd it to take a bit of the low end off and its better....but if I EQ anymore I think I might lose something.....

anyone got any advice?.......had a similar issue?
By Lampdog Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 pm
I've had that problem before when taking shit to the car and I don't know why because I have a sub in the studio and in the car. In Sound Forge I'd kill off "inaudible freqs". There's a function for that in there. It helped alot, even though we can't physically hear everything our speakers still try to recreate it. Also on each individual instrument I use filters to ensure I only pass the sounds/freqs I want played. That helps too. I'm pretty sure you know all this but check that one bass sound against a wave editor and see if you can kill off inaudible freqs.
By Living Bate Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:31 am
Lampdog wrote: I'd kill off "inaudible freqs". It helped a lot.

Yeh cheers Lamp. I could probably do with something like that. Its like a harsh low rumble that sits just below the nice smooth bass.

I think I could probably get it sorted via EQ.....but the problem is I cant hear it in the studio..... so unless I rig up my MPC in the car (not gonna happen) I just gotta keep mixing it down and taking it to the car to check it.

anyway....I guess I was just hoping someone would suggest I download the 'Sort My Bass Out' plugin or something....
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 pm
maybe just find the frequency using a spectrum analyzer tool if you cant hear it... and try sloping it off if you dont want to outright cut it out.
By sjeff Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 pm
Use headphones to see if the bass is balanced in the track on all frequencies.
Use an HPfilter on 20Hz, or even kill more of the bass and replay/layer the sample with an sine oscillator (or triangle with a LPfilter) in the sub region.

Or use a reference track (one that's similar to your bass, but that's playing decent in your car) and try to get as close to that sound/balance as possible.

One tip I read was to put an VU meter on the masterbus with only the kick playing and level it at -3, when you bring in the bass it should hit 0, when they collide. This is supposed to be the best balance between kicks and bass. Good luck!
By mr_debauch Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:27 pm
i think that tip is really dependent on the situation... for example if it's a beat for rap or a vocalist... maybe leaving more headroom than aiming for 0db is a good idea...
By sjeff Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:57 pm
Yeah, forgot to mention that you have to remove the VU meter (and the gain adjustment you've made within the plugin) when you have levelled the kick/bass/low energy. So that you get your headroom back.

Explained here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECRx4WF3pcc
By Living Bate Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:20 am
thanks all.....I appreciate the advice....

it seems to be worse on the lower notes....

i'll check that link and have a go later.....
By The Jackal Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 pm
If it's worse on lower notes, then I might suggest putting a compressor/EQ compressor on it.