Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Living Bate Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:49 pm
and also maybe try not to swim in an endless pool of drum samples.....get to know what drums you like and learn how to use them....

then you might think quickly, ah the Little Feat Snare would be nice on this......or the Synthetic Substitution hihat might cut through that.....

etc
By Living Bate Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:12 pm
Wal Martian wrote:Find a drum break, chop it up and listen to it, then go find some samples the fit.

sometimes nice to start with a nice melody first and add drums though......

I'm 50 / 50 on what I'll start with......
By peterpiper Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:12 am
Tuning the drum sound often help even if your first thought was like "nah that doesn't fit".
Start with coarse tuning and when you think it almost fit use fine tuning.
The decay is also a parameter that plays a big part. shorten the decay if the melodysample calls for a sharp assertive cut through snare for example. And use the air (original drumsample reverb) when the melody sample seem to work better with drumbreak-kinda-drums.

peace
By quietizkept Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:17 pm
If you got a collection of breaks, it becomes super fast in the MPC software to get'r to loop, truncate (discard), timestretch to project tempo, chop that sucka, make a program out of it & play it over your beat. It sounds harder than it is. It takes literally seconds. This is how I audition breaks. Then, just use your ears & the above tips. All good stuff. Took me like a week to get fast at this.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 pm
Some really good tips and sound advice in this thread :nod: . The most important thing to remember Joseph_Music is that sound wise you get out of your mpc, what you put into it. Don't be afraid to mess about with the low, mid, high eq bands when recording your drum breaks to get a more punchy kick, snappier snare or crispy hi-hat etc. 9 times out of ten I'm running heavy in the red when recording my drums to get some added flavour to a drum break or to get that sound that I've got into my head.

Heck I've even taken the counterweight of my turntable tonearm to get more of the record grit. crap and dirt off the drum break :lol:.
By Menco Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 am
One tip would be to use your ears and brain...

Practice makes perfect. So train your brain and ears. The more beats you make, the better you will get at understanding what works with what sound texture wise.
By SILIS101 Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:40 pm
Tune sample up or down, add layers and repeat Tune up or down for each layer, Low pass Filter, resample.
And that's just for a snare.
Repeat for every sound.
Overtime you will complete this process quickly.
You can do this to a standalone break loop, then add hats and snares over it with different frequency's
Very Tiny adjustments can make this biggest change to a sound, especially on hats and snares.
Varying velocities are important to hats.
Learn about ghost notes for your kicks. YouTube it.
Learn about ghost notes for snares.

Most importantly: You will never like your drums for more than one day.
By Ill-Green Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 am
I just build around to what I got. If I start off with drums, I look for sounds that will fit over and if I start with samples then I skim through records and CDs of drum pieces deciphering which break sticks with these samples. And thats it.

I do have an XR20 but usually its for snares and their Brooklyn kick.