Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By RFO Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:20 pm
Hi everyone,

So I find myself struggling when it comes to producing music those days, I'm starting a **** lot of new beats but I'm not completing any of them.
The main thing is I'm having a hard time building the song within the MPC sequencer. I haven't yet tried the Song Mode but it seems it would allow me to make really basic beat construction. Instead, I copy my bars (an exaggerated number of times) and play with track mutes to construct my song.

The thing is I'm really into experimental spontaneous music so both methods doesn't really fit. I'm thinking about using Ableton but I have no idea if that could help me?

I'm using an MPC2500, some records and a Tascam m216 mixer to mix my songs before recording them to the computer.

I'd really appreciate any kind of insights, feedback and advises even though I haven't asked a proper question.

R
By Menco Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 am
Try using song mode, especially if you use multiple loops in one song this feature makes it a bit easier to string everything together.

Question about the track mutes, do you (step) program them, or do you record them in realtime while the sequencer is playing? Recording the track mutes in real time feels quite spontaneous to me.

Also, maybe automation or using the q-links to control filters and fx can also be a great way to implement events if you want to program by doing realtime recording.