Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Mail Mann Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:43 pm
Hi everybody, I'm new on the forum. I just wanted to know if anybody could help me with a problem I'm having when chopping the hihats from a drum break. I usually make songs which have a slower tempo than the drum breaks I use so I need to slow em down. Everything is ok with the kick and the snare but I can't slow down the hihats, them always sound cut and there's no way for me to stretch them out, I even tried by pitching 'em down but it won't solve. Do you have any suggestion to fix that?
By Living Bate Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm
how are you doing it with the kick and snare?

I would suggest you make the drum break loop and timestretch the whole loop......then chop up the drum hits individually.....that way all the chops should fit....
By Mail Mann Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:27 pm
the kick usually doesn't need to be stretched, it fits perfectly, for the snare I use layering, and the hihat keeps being a problem, I don't know if i'm the only stupid guy who can't stretch breaks, I always get horrible sounds when doing it
By Lampdog Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 pm
Hihats are so short, anything you do to stretch will result in **** them up.

Stretching anything over 20% will start to sound unnatural, hhats are just way to short to be trying to manipulate.
By MrDismal Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm
You could try layering another hi hat over top of the break one, a longer sounding one with some air. Maybe even try adding some reverb (if you have the eb16 board), sometimes that fixes it and makes it sound longer.
By tapedeck Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm
use the envelope and fade it out. they don't necessarily need to be stretched. pitch them down. add reverb. so many options.

every break will be different. :mrgreen:
By peterpiper Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Like Lampdog said, a stetched hihat often sounds way to unnatural. but you can try to only select the air and strech that. Or use "air" from somewhere else. Or add reverb or copyand paste the hihatsample right on its own end and reverse the second one plus put a fade out envelope on it.
peace
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:12 pm
yeah add air... or that exact hihat chop can be put on another pad and reversed... with any other pad cutting it off... as soon as the high hat plays and gets to the end.. play the reversed one and maybe it will get cut off by a snare or a kick (or another hat) before it makes it to the end of the sample which would be the sound of a reversed hihat.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:27 pm
peterpiper wrote:...copyand paste the hihatsample right on its own end and reverse the second one.
peace

"bowtie" it's called in the ASR10 menus.