Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By laurencezenel Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:42 pm
Hi all
Have been producing for a while but am pretty beginner to the whole sampling/hip hop side of things... I am aware that questions along the same vein as this have been asked a lot before, but I'm asking about one specific aspect of Madlib/ J dilla or even earlier Q-tip/Pete rock boom bap production that i haven't seen asked before.

Obviously whole drum breaks are sampled (amen, funky drummer ect), but do you lot reckon the individual hits were usually sampled from records too? Or would they have been on sample CDs or stock sounds of some sort. Whats the general consensus on this?

I'm also aware that J dilla was a drummer and sometimes sampled his own drums, but I get the feeling this is somewhat of an exception in hip hop production

Thoughts?

thanks,
L
By MrDismal Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm
I would probably say most were breaks, but I don't really know what you'd gain from asking this. Doesn't matter where you get your drums from, you can always dirty them up and manipulate them to sound different to make dope music.

Out of curiosity, what are you expecting to get out of asking what other producers used? The sound? The swing?