Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By MalaKai Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:57 pm
My record label/music collective is releasing a punk artist's first 2 EPs on 12" 33 RPM vinyl and I took it upon myself to finalize the tracks to send to the manufacturer.

The music is acoustic punk, mostly slower tempo and basically just vocal and guitar. It was recorded and mixed well, but mastering for vinyl requires certain things to be aware of, particularly low frequency elements.

Anything below 300 Hz needs to be in phase, no large elements in low frequency range (20 Hz) or top end (20 kHz), high pass filter (cut lows) @ 40 Hz, & low pass filter (cut highs) @ 16 kHz. Sub-acoustics aren't good. Neither are sibilants in the mid-top area.

So there's a lot of rolling off, getting rid of unnecessary frequency ranges. As far as I'm aware these are the basics.

I'm using Tokyo Dawn Labs EQs to do most of this, working in 24 bit/44.1 kHz. I want to avoid super brickwall limiting and putting too much of a "gloss" over the tracks, just deal with any problems and slight tweaks.

Anyone done a project mastered for vinyl before?
Last edited by MalaKai on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm
Yes I mastered my last album which was my first vinyl pressing. The plant sent me instructions on how to mixdown for vinyl. Just small guidelines, here is the email:

How should I prepare my mixes before uploading them?

We offer the following guidance prior to your files being submitted, as it is always preferable to fix such issues in the original mix.

When submitting your master files we recommend the following:

ensure the source material is as good a quality as possible (preferably WAV/AIFF 24 bit 96 kHz, or a minimum of WAV/AIFF 16 bit 44.1 kHz, or mp3 with a bit rate above 192 Kbits)
look to keep the peaks on the main mix level to a maximum of -3dBfs;
please ensure bass frequencies (like kick drums) are placed centrally in the stereo field. Stereo effects in this frequency range can easily corrupt a record’s playback;
bass frequencies below 20 Hz provide playback issues and should be avoided;
finally, it is also best to avoid very high frequencies as these tend to have a harsh, distorting effect on the overall playback.

I have to say, the final vinyl cut, sounds way better than the CD version :)
By peterpiper Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 pm
The vinyl sound differs from the outside of the record to the inside so I would place the best songs and the songs where there are many things goin on to the outside and the more simple songs to the inside.
This can really ruin a record. I got some VA records where the tracks I like most are placed as last track of a side. Sounds terrible.

peace
By SEMS Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:57 am
MalaKai wrote:"Try to avoid using psycho acoustic processors [enhancers/exciters] to an excessive degree."

We're employing the services of this Bay Area based company, records are pressed in the Czech Republic:

http://www.piratespress.com/products/mastering-for-vinyl/

That mean's it's getting done at GZ vinyl, who use DMM or Direct Metal Mastering. I've had a bunch of records cut by them and they all sound great. You don't need to do anything special really, it's a different way of cutting records where what you send them is basically what gets sent back. I'd make sure the bass elements are in mono if you can but don't sweat much besides that. Oh also cutting everything below 20Hz is a good idea like was mentioned above, but I try to do that regardless of what medium I'm finishing wit. Like I said, everything I've sent to them has come back exactly like I sent it, but on vinyl. And they all play great with no problems.
By terry towelling Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:22 am
mastering is where it's worth paying a pro who really knows what they are doing.
pick your favourite records, find out who mastered them and then contact them -- chances are it'll only cost a couple of hundred bucks.
By MalaKai Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:58 pm
terry towelling wrote:mastering is where it's worth paying a pro who really knows what they are doing.

We were thinking about that, but decided to just do it in house. The album is already recorded and mixed well enough, so not much needs to be done.

My plugin chain goes:

StereoChannel with gain reduction

TDR Slick EQ M - most of the surgical EQ things, convert LF to mono at 300 Hz, high and low cuts, etc.

API-2500 - about a decibel gain reduction, 2:1 ratio, slow attack/fast release.

TDR VOS SlickEQ GE - I don't know why I chose to put another EQ on but I'm basically using it to manipulate the rolloff for the highs and to brighten things up a little bit. Using EQ saturation.

LimiterOne - basic free limiter that sounds surprisingly good and transparent.

Only thing that needs more work is finding the right output RMS levels.
By Ill-Green Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:14 pm
Metal discs might become a thing of the past, the plant I went to, tossed my wav files in the vinyl press and reproduced each disc. I was only charged the the number of discs and shipping. No metal mastering. Cats in Germany always inventing machines to make vinyl pressing easier.
By MalaKai Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:29 am
This video is short and explains RMS levels you want and talks about low end:

I finished the first part of the tracks and average RMS came out to about -10 to -11, so I might push it back.

Technical info:

http://www.piratespress.com/products/vinyl-technical-conditions/

Lots of stuff from the plant:

http://www.gzvinyl.com/Manufacturing/Pressing.aspx?sec=Quality-control

And this video: