Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By yabyum Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 pm
What's up dudes.

Anyone have any tips on what to do if you're going through a sampling dry spell? I'm a sort of new father so haven't been able to sit, listen and work on mpc for hours at a time like I used to. But even when I do get a chance I've been having a real hard time finding samples (open instruments, not just loops). I'm lucky if I just get a few hours a week when I'm not too dead tired from work/daddy time. Not really trying to get specific records recommended, just what you do when you're hitting a creative block. No time for digging doesn't help either, I've even turned to dreaded mp3 sampling...gross!

Newsflash, you basically can't do anything anymore once you have a kid/s!
By Ill-Green Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am
I toss random samples into the auto-chop and try to build whatever it gives me. I made better stuff randomly putting samples in auto-chop than stuff I thought out.
By SEMS Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 pm
yabyum wrote:Newsflash, you basically can't do anything anymore once you have a kid/s!

It gets better. Eventually :lol:

For me it's all about digging. The internet is vast, and there are MAD vinyl reissues and obscure things coming out I never heard of, most available readily. Order em straight to your door!

I also try not to put pressure on myself to be creative with it. If it ain't happening, it ain't happening. Like w any creative block, just gotta do something else. Keep your ears open & a notepad or app ready to write down if you hear something that catches your ear. Good luck!
By dez perado Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm
sample the baby crying. throw some filters on that sh!t add some drums and a bass line... there you have it.
By Living Bate Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:14 pm
yabyum wrote:
I'm a sort of new father. I'm lucky if I just get a few hours a week when I'm not too dead tired from work/daddy time.

Newsflash, you basically can't do anything anymore once you have a kid/s!

I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm lucky if I get one evening a week with the MPC at the moment. I think the major adjustment comes from the fact you put pressure on yourself to use that brief time 100% productively, and I don't think that's always the best for creativity.

One thing I would suggest is try and find a way out of MP3 sampling. Sometimes you have to be your own inspiration, and if you think its gross then don't do it. Even if you just rhythm roulette yourself a few pot shots on ebay.
By v00d00ppl Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:08 pm
I'm always strapped for time with work and a six day workout routine. One thing that works is on weekdays just practice drumming and playing chords for 15 minutes. On weekends dedicate one hour to record and listen to your music. If I get bored with sampling I play random drum kits in battery 4. I'll figure out what I like and what I don't like. I'll force myself to make some sort of pattern even if it's not hip-hop. Then I will work on that arrangement until Sunday. I'm trying not to scrap music. I will save it and listen to it later.
By yabyum Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm
Thanks for the replies fellas! Makes it feel better that it's not just me.
Good points on not trying to force creativity, that never works and ends in frustration. Randomly chopping sounds like it could be interesting. I've tried just taking breaks i've done a million times and re-chopping and see if anything new comes to the vibe or what could be added. It's hard to start a song with drums first but just getting something down feels good.
Definitely miss digging and coming home with a stack of records and seeing what happens. I've never got the inspired feeling by youtube digging even though you can find anything. It feels so much better to discover something on your own. Like SEMS said I guess it does get a little easier with time, but my kid is about to turn 2!! WHEN!? Long time out has meant less practice and getting rusty just like any instrument. I'll try to force myself to always dedicate time whether it be just listening, drum practice, writing down sample ideas no matter how busy I am. Also should set time aside to actual recording rather than leaving something half finished in the mpc and never touching it again.

Good to talk to like minded people that know. Even other musicians don't get our process or why we use samples in the first place.
By SILIS101 Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 pm
1st. It sounds like you are not a bum father. Good job, kids need dads.
2nd. I was in the exact same position as you. I worked and did all the right things and was happy.
But, I found when I needed to get a beat made or raps written, it was just making me stare at the walls. It sucked. I was stuck. Yes, MP3 and YouTube helped to get me "temporarily" going. I realized one day that if I wasn't productive, I would just go in my studio and chill. Put on some Gangstarr or Tribe and listen to the drums. Figure out what it takes to get a **** drum kick to sound dope.

My point is you don't think you're being productive but you are. You're figuring shit out. That's creative right? You may not be making a beat, but your close. Turn the mpc on and see where it goes.
You're mind will get you're ass in gear soon. Don't quit.
By Wal Martian Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm
Turn off your phone and other distractions. Don't try to do multiple things. Try the Pomodoro technique, this consists of 25 minute blocks of solid work with 3-5 minute breaks in between. After 4 x 25 minute blocks take a 15-30 minute break and start a new "task" (new beat, different aspect of the beat etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique
By Living Bate Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:32 pm
Wal Martian wrote:Turn off your phone and other distractions. Don't try to do multiple things. Try the Pomodoro technique, this consists of 25 minute blocks of solid work with 3-5 minute breaks in between. After 4 x 25 minute blocks take a 15-30 minute break and start a new "task" (new beat, different aspect of the beat etc.)

that all sounds a bit militant to me......isn't this supposed to creative and fun?
By conrad Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm
I'm just getting back into it after years out due to neighbours / noise problems, living in a cramped space, working too many hours.

I still have a very demanding job but I only work 9-5 now. I am still very tired and although I been at home all day today I haven't had the motivation or energy I'm sill recovering from the week, and tomorrow I really should get on with some plastering or wiring or something!

What I have been doing is just grabbing a random record from the shelves and sticking to that record, cutting it up seeing what I come up with and then turning off the MPC, not saving anything. I only get about 20/30 minutes of time at the moment. I'm finding this process quite good actually, I'm getting closer to a better beat in a shorter space of time. But I'm not expecting to or putting myself under pressure to make a beat it's more like a having a jam I suppose.
By conrad Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm
Wal Martian wrote:Turn off your phone and other distractions. Don't try to do multiple things. Try the Pomodoro technique, this consists of 25 minute blocks of solid work with 3-5 minute breaks in between. After 4 x 25 minute blocks take a 15-30 minute break and start a new "task" (new beat, different aspect of the beat etc.)

Read this after my previous post. Similar to what I'm doing.
By puzzlevortex Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 pm
i just import some audio into pro tools and set it to loop playback. Then just highlight different sections of the audio until i find a cool loop.
You can really find a loop in anything. Sometimes i work with audio from samplepacks.
Sometimes i grab audio from youtube videos. use this tool - http://www.videograbby.com
By Living Bate Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 am
conrad wrote:
What I have been doing is just grabbing a random record from the shelves and sticking to that record, cutting it up seeing what I come up with and then turning off the MPC, not saving anything.

whenever I do anything remotely like that I always find myself regretting not saving anything, and wondering what it would've sounded like to fresh ears....

especially if I find myself humming the shit I just made, but I no longer have it....