Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Fanu Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm

A quick "kick fatness" tip from the lab while mixing a house track…

If you have a kick that needs a bit of meat but you've exhausted your other techniques, try this.

• Make a duplicate of your kick track
• Compress the kick with a really snappy compressor such as DBX 160 (any compressor that will really compress it hard will do)
• Use a device that will allow you to boost the very low end of the kick and boost it around 60 Hz or so
• Use a device that allows you to cut the mids (for those, I'm using a classic Pultec EQ here that allows me to do both easily)
• So basically you're making it really tiny at first, then cutting the mids, and boosting the crap out of its lows
• Blend this in with the original kick and witness the increased fatness!

Sounds silly on paper, but try it and you'll find out this can be a dope tool in your toolbox!

I post little tips often on my
IG: http://instagram.com/fanufatgyver/
Mixing & mastering page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/fanumastering/
By MrDismal Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:58 am
There's a thousand ways to fatten a kick.
Without using any compressors, or saturators, or EQ's, you can just make a copy of the kick and layer it, and low pass filter one of them to your taste. Some MPC's have better sounding filter than others. The 2000(XL) is the one I have and it booms, I've heard the 3K is even better.
By Fanu Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 pm
MrDismal wrote:There's a thousand ways to fatten a kick.
Without using any compressors, or saturators, or EQ's, you can just make a copy of the kick and layer it, and low pass filter one of them to your taste. Some MPC's have better sounding filter than others. The 2000(XL) is the one I have and it booms, I've heard the 3K is even better.

Of course. But that's not the same thing as this.
By Wal Martian Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 pm
Fanu wrote: boost it around 60 Hz or so
• Use a device that allows you to cut the mids (for those, I'm using a classic Pultec EQ here that allows me to do both easily)

It looks like the low freq is set to 30 in that picture. I don't see mids being cut in that picture. I have a UAD interface, can you explain how you cut the mids with the Pultec EQ?
By Fanu Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
Fanu wrote: boost it around 60 Hz or so

It looks like the low freq is set to 30 in that picture. I don't see mids being cut in that picture. I have a UAD interface, can you explain how you cut the mids with the Pultec EQ?

The Pultec allows you to attenuate the highs/mids with the rightmost knob.