Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Living Bate Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 am
reading a 2012 interview with Lewis Parker, and was interested by the following...

UKHH.COM
: Tell me about something you do in production which you think is a Lewis Parker method, like something you always do to a sound or drums?

LP: There are many secret techniques, but there is one style known to certain producers called ‘THE TRICK’. This technique is the principle behind my main production method. It has to do with the maintaining of the natural air around a sound!

anyone know anything about this?

I think LP is an incredible beat maker so i'd really like to know more about it..

http://ukhh.com/lewis-parker-exclusive- ... -ukhh-com/
By Sharris Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 pm
I wonder if he's just referring to not chopping things really tight.....something along those lines. I know when I stopped chopping things really tight, it made things sound more natural & not so....choppy. There's probably more to it, but yeah, there are a lot of interesting textures in the sound that comes after the sound, for example acoustic drums & other percussion instruments, how they continue to reverberate. I could be wrong......it's just a thought........it's simple but it made a big difference in my beats. I'm really interested to know what he's talking about, especially if I'm way off.......
By Lampdog Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:51 pm
Yes, don't chop so tight. You end up chopping the air from start and end.

Start of the sample may have a ramp up in effects that your chopping out. Don't do that. Some sounds need that and don't always have to be started on the drop, ie, 001.00.00. Place an empty bar at the beginning of your song and IN that empty bar start your sample a little before the end of the bar, and place the other bars in normal order for the normal song.

Reverb and stuff (sample tail) can go one for a little while at the end of the actual sample. Leave it there, don't chop it out. You have PARAMS (2kxl) that can fade in/out the sample and these settings are not destructive, meaning no data is lost (2kxl has a gimped ADSR), just manipulated.

It's not a full fledged sampler but it can get the job done most times.
By Living Bate Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Sharris and Lamp i appreciate the responses . .

All his stuff sounds so natural i'm sure its to do with looser chopping and envelope etc as you both suggest . .

Love to hear more about shit like this tho
Last edited by Living Bate on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.