Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Hepkat Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm
Whats up gang? I done some thinking last night, which is usually a dangerous thing for me! Haha! So heres what I came up with... it involves some resampling and Im waiting on my new 2500 to arrive so I havent had a chance to try it as the 2000xl doesn't have the ability so sample its main outs! But what if you laid down some drums! Resampled it so its one loop (call this loop 1)! Then you ran that through the internal compressor, resampled the results of that so you have a new loop (loop 2), then took all the compression off the original drum loop (loop 1), and mixed the new resampled compressed loop (loop 2), into the original sample loop with no compression (loop 1)? Maybe slap a little reverb on to tie it all in! Thats basically parellell compression right?

Any of you guys do this already? Anyone tried this on anything else other then the drums? Im eager to find out!
By Ill-Green Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:58 pm
Yeah, you described New York compression. I think most seasoned producers do exactly that with drum samples. Indeed the 2500 is capable of resampling the main outs so you can surely get away with parallel compression within the machine. I don't know how good the compressors are on the 2500 but thats up to your taste.

Mostly used on drums, you can parallel compress anything. I have used it on vocals and its really brightens them even if they were dull. And a few times I used it on whole mixes for a distinct sound.

Nowadays its usual for cats to parallel compress inside the sampler. What kids wanna do the most is sidechain compression. It creates a kind of pump in the drums especially the kick. Sounds like the kick actually kicked through your speaker at certain moments if you do it right. There are ducking effects to pull it off too.

Good luck on your quest.
By terry towelling Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 am
resampling on the 100/2500 is so good! do you have to worry about phasing problems using this technique for parallel compression?

i really hate sidechain compression. it was cliqued and overused 20 years ago...all that horrid "pumping" commerical house from the 90s. sure, french gave us french kissing, but they still have a lot to answer for with all that 90s house.
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:43 pm
terry towelling wrote:resampling on the 100/2500 is so good! do you have to worry about phasing problems using this technique for parallel compression?

i really hate sidechain compression. it was cliqued and overused 20 years ago...all that horrid "pumping" commerical house from the 90s. sure, french gave us french kissing, but they still have a lot to answer for with all that 90s house.

All you have to do is be off by a couple of milliseconds to rid of phasing.

I think I stopped listening to House by 1989 and went full Hip Hop. Techno took over the clubs as well by '92, wild times.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm
Yes, you can slide your samples left or right of each other in order to lessen phasing. The more you slide the less phasing. But slide too much and you get an echo effect. It's a balancing act (just like a lot of other stuff).

Yes, run 2 samples side by side with compression/effects on one.

I have layered 4-5 kicks with varying levels of everything and people have wondered how I got kicks so fat.
It all started out when experimenting with SIMULT in 2kxl. 8)
By Hepkat Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 am
No idea I never used the 5000 buddy sorry!
The way I've been doing the NYC at the minute is basically setting up 2 programs, 1 for the dry drums, 1 for the wet drums, get my drums the way I want on the dry tracks and then just duplicating the dry tracks and change the duplicated tracks to program 2, send the duplicates through the compressor and mix them back in to the dry tracks on program 1! Then just go into trim and offset by a fraction! Is this the easiest way out of it? I was also keeping in mind saving the other pads!
By terry towelling Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:27 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
terry towelling wrote:resampling on the 100/2500 is so good! do you have to worry about phasing problems using this technique for parallel compression?

All you have to do is be off by a couple of milliseconds to rid of phasing.

I think I stopped listening to House by 1989 and went full Hip Hop. Techno took over the clubs as well by '92, wild times.

you're nyc, right? house was still bumping along in the early 90s, but you're right, there was some great techno. jeff mills had a residency at limelight. the tru-skool crew were regularly bringing rob hood and juan atkins from detroit. sonic groove parties with frankie bones, adam x and heather heart -- they also liked to bring over dj skull from chicago...what a dj!!!!! there were also some good booty parties -- dj assault, godfather and dj funk. favourite nyc dj back then was dj silver from the temple records/liquid sky crew.

i didn't go to many hip hop clubs -- they were all "no running shoes, no timberlands"...so i had nothing to work with there. there was that big sunday night party at the tunnel with red alert or flex, i think.
By Ill-Green Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 pm
Yup born and raised in BK. Limelight was a wild place, almost gothic like. Remember that Little Luis jam that was XXX? :lol: Palladian used to throw us out when we were 15 minutes in or never let us in at all the creep bastards. But looking back, we were so **** hoodlum haha good times bro!!

I never got into Hip Hop clubs either, I was too young at 13. :)