Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By sparky Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:44 am
Has anyone found a workaround for randomising midi parameters? Example: I want to have a sustain intermittently on a bass patch - that is, sustaining the midi note rather than the amp envelope. I’ve assigned a q link for the purpose but that’s one hand occupied I need for other things.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:41 am
How about a mute/choke group, and a different note in the same group triggering a note with a high probability, in the middle of the note you want cut. And make all the bass notes long. Usually they're cut short because of the high probability, except sometimes they aren't when the cut/choke note isn't triggered.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:50 pm
You'll probably want to make the choking note silent, and with keygroups and drum programs it's easily doable. With plugins it depends on the plugin, but if it's a very short note, it'll probably work just fine. With a bass sound it may sound like a mute thump. A loud choke note can work as a percussive element. You can even groove/swing quantize the muting notes.
By sparky Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:54 pm
This worked. Copied the track, extended sustain to full on the copied notes, then reduced the probability on the original (percussive track) until there was a nice balance of sustained notes and tight notes. Great suggestion! Thanks