Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Remedial Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:47 pm
Okay, I chopped up a sample in Recycle, but for some reason all of the slices appear to have an echo or reverb at the end of them. Is there a way to turn this off.

Also, when exporting sounds from Recycle, the ask you to set the number of bars first. Let's say I'm trying to get 7 slices, but I only set 6 bars. Will this result in only 6 slices?

Additionally, I see that you can create a midi file along with your .akp program. What would be the use or purpose of this midi file? Thanks beforehand for any assistance.

By brainwashcloth Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:49 pm
if you have recycle 2 it is the gating and compressor disable those within recycle and re-export it

By ieism Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:36 am
You got a couple of things mixed up here. The number of bars will not change the number of slices. The reason Recycle wants to know how many bars there are, is because it will calculate the BPM of your loop accordingly.
Try this to see what i'm getting at:
open a file, and set the loop you're wanting to use. Ajust the sensitivity untill you get a slice on every major hit.
Type in the number of bars&beats you think your loop is, and see what the "Original tempo" is. Don't be surprised if you get a number that's twice as high as you expected. just change the nuber of beats/bars untill you think the BPM is correct.
Hit the "preview toggle" button, and press play.
As you can hear, your loop is playing the way it should, but there's more.....
If you adjust the "tempo" to a lower bpm than the original, you're loop will slow down but still sound ok! How is it possible not to have gaps inbetween the slices at this point? Well recycle puts a small "tail" of sound at the end of each slice to make up for that gap.That's the "reverb" you were hearing.
If you were to export a midi file along with you're slices, it would allow you to play back the loop on the mpc, and change the tempo the same way as in Recycle. Go ahead and try it, it's a really cool function.

By tude Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:55 am
real nice, ieism! I didn't know this...

By one-two Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:29 pm
In recycle there is a feature called "stretch". It is default set to 40%, which adds that "tail" you hear at the end each slice. Set the stretch to 0% and there will be no tail.

By Remedial Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:29 pm
one-two wrote:In recycle there is a feature called "stretch". It is default set to 40%, which adds that "tail" you hear at the end each slice. Set the stretch to 0% and there will be no tail.

Yo, thanks a lot one-two. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also, mad thanks to everyone else that replied and gave their $0.02, especially ieism for his brief tutorial.
By Remedial Thu May 01, 2003 12:31 am
For some reason, I'm having a problem with the volume of my slices when I load em up in the MP. The sounds are very low. I've tried adjusting the gain nob in Recycle, but that doesn't seem to help much. Is there another one of the effects parameters (Equalizer or Transient Shaper) may be affecting the sound? If so, what should I adjust on either of these effects panels?

By ieism Thu May 01, 2003 9:53 am
I think you've probably recorded it at low volume in the first place. It's always best to record at the highest volume without clipping.
You can normalize your loop in Recycle, but it it will also add some noise.

Open your Rex. file in Recycle, go to Process - Normalize, and select "whole file" . Then export you slices and midi file again.