Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By egokilla Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:18 pm
Anyone have any unique sampling techniques they wanna share?

Here are a few of my most used ways:

Sampling from DVD and Digital Satt.

When creating movie samples, I either record directly through SF/WaveLab
from DVD or Digital Satt/Cable. I attempted to record from VHS for awhile,
but the editing process of getting them clean(fuzz) seemed to take forever.
Now that I sample direct from DVD, the samples are much cleaner and easier
to work with.

Sampling from Midi

I love this method. Let's say you want to sample a hook from a Salt N Pepa
song, but the producers have layered it with vox one shots, or the drum
sounds are sick... Download the midi file- and work with that specific part-
The awesome thing about this, is that if your using software like Reason,
Cakewalk or Cubase- You can change the instrument sounds and give the hook
more of the proper vibe for your composition. I have taken some slow RnB
melodies, and used some slutty (distorted and loose) sounds as a replacement
and the result was a gothic/dub hook.

Sampling from Modules

This is my most used method at the moment, and a samplist secret.

I borrow modules from my friends, take them home- hook them up.

Start up Sound Forge or Wavelab and start recording ONE long track
going through the preset sounds. I will typically record until the track
gets over 200mb and then stop it. If I have more sounds to go- I record onto
one more long track.

If the module has programming options or FX, I will then re-record each
sounds with the variations in yet another long track. (At this point you
would have like 2 gigs in raw .wav)

Once completed- I will try to open the file in Recycle. (File size is
limited so further chopping may be needed)

Once the files is opened, I drag the slider to around 60-75, or until each
sound appears to be isolated, and then export to .akp so all the sounds are
chopped up. Then I will usually spend a day or two editing and eq these
samples until I am satisfied.

Inspiration for Samples

For along time I stopped listening to any other music. I didn't want my focus to become clouded by other artists, and thought that my exposure would reflect in my music. This was a mistake. Not only did I not stay informed with new music, but I found myself slipping deeper into my own vibe (Skinny Puppy meets Tricky meets The Doors) and struggled with jumping back into other projects without the outside influence.

By KoolSha178 Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:42 pm
All i know is i just dropped 50 bones on 1 dollar records at Amoeba and i am a happy man, my technique, put the record on the table, and press record on my mpc. Edit and play with the high pass filters, woot. =)

i picked up some good shit today, also found DJ Premier unreleased instrumentals vol 4 for 6 beans. Thank god for amoeba, the lady had to give me a box to cary out the records instead of a bag, official status.

By KoolSha178 Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:50 pm
All i know is i just dropped 50 bones on 1 dollar records at Amoeba and i am a happy man, my technique, put the record on the table, and press record on my mpc. Edit and play with the high pass filters, woot. =)

i picked up some good shit today, also found DJ Premier unreleased instrumentals vol 4 for 6 beans. Thank god for amoeba, the lady had to give me a box to cary out the records instead of a bag, official status.
By NUgg Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:31 am
where do ya download MIDI samples from?

By Mddl Fngr Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:52 am
Here's a couple of good sites......

This one's for video games, any system, most games, many levels.
http://www.vgmusic.com/

And here's one with movie themes, pop, rap, tv show themes, etc.
http://www.ifni.com/
By egokilla Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:18 pm
NUgg wrote:where do ya download MIDI samples from?

I use MusicRobot

type in the artist/song and you'll probally find it.

What I like to do is find the: instrumental, acapella, midi file, and mp3 of a song- and hack them up for remixes.

By counterspace Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:58 pm
pretty much just records, tapes, vhs, dvd, anything I can mic in my house and my juno60. I did find out that they have a chessy little yamaha electric piano at the local library with stero out's, so I think I'll be taking the mpc up there this week to get some samples off it.

By egokilla Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:39 pm
Check out this link:
http://www.olsoncomputers.com/prime/MIDIs/Bands/

In another thread I talked about sampling Phil Collins drum's on In the air tonight. Download this one and check it out.

Reason users have it real easy. Just open the file up, and assign different subtractor parts to the drums. (Make copies to give them some punch though)

If you dont have any synth drum sounds for Subtractor- You'll probally be able to find some in these:
Subtractor I
Subtractor II
Subtractor III

By florian77 Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:03 pm
When I´m sampling from Vinyl, I often hook up a Compressor between Mixer and MPC2K Input...

By Dr.Foo Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:22 pm
I sample from audio tape alot, if I sample it, and heavily cip it coming out of the tape deck, then I get a cool "distorted" sound, (note this is only good for drums I find) then I load the sample into a sound editor, where I compress it, then eq it to keep the meat of the drum which removes alot of the hiss and bad sounding clipped parts, then I chop it up, and load it in the mpc and use it as ghost notes, it sounds pretty cool.
By Remedial Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:12 pm
[quote="egokilla"]Anyone have any unique sampling techniques they wanna share?

Here are a few of my most used ways:

Sampling from DVD and Digital Satt.

When creating movie samples, I either record directly through SF/WaveLab
from DVD or Digital Satt/Cable. I attempted to record from VHS for awhile,
but the editing process of getting them clean(fuzz) seemed to take forever.
Now that I sample direct from DVD, the samples are much cleaner and easier
to work with.

So what, you just click play on the dvd and record on Soundforge or is there another way?

By Remedial Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:13 pm
Dr.Foo wrote:I sample from audio tape alot, if I sample it, and heavily cip it coming out of the tape deck, then I get a cool "distorted" sound, (note this is only good for drums I find) then I load the sample into a sound editor, where I compress it, then eq it to keep the meat of the drum which removes alot of the hiss and bad sounding clipped parts, then I chop it up, and load it in the mpc and use it as ghost notes, it sounds pretty cool.

Okay, could somebody finally explain to me what ghost notes are?
By Remedial Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:16 pm
Sampling from Midi

I love this method. Let's say you want to sample a hook from a Salt N Pepa
song, but the producers have layered it with vox one shots, or the drum
sounds are sick... Download the midi file- and work with that specific part-
The awesome thing about this, is that if your using software like Reason,
Cakewalk or Cubase- You can change the instrument sounds and give the hook
more of the proper vibe for your composition. I have taken some slow RnB
melodies, and used some slutty (distorted and loose) sounds as a replacement
and the result was a gothic/dub hook.

So, basically, with the midi file you just replace the sounds so the hook and melodies are the same but just different instruments used, right?

By Dr.Foo Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:50 pm
Remedial wrote:
Dr.Foo wrote:I sample from audio tape alot, if I sample it, and heavily cip it coming out of the tape deck, then I get a cool "distorted" sound, (note this is only good for drums I find) then I load the sample into a sound editor, where I compress it, then eq it to keep the meat of the drum which removes alot of the hiss and bad sounding clipped parts, then I chop it up, and load it in the mpc and use it as ghost notes, it sounds pretty cool.

Okay, could somebody finally explain to me what ghost notes are?

Q - What is a ghost note and how do you play one?

A - a "ghosted" note is one that is played more gently than others, often so gently that it's hard to tell exactly what note it is. It's a very expressive technique

By egokilla Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:05 pm
On DVD: Usually I will queue the part I want to record, then hit play in Sound Forge and gank it. Let's say I want to sample the following phrase from Joe Dirt, " It puts the lotion on it's skin" I will queue it to about 5 sec before the part and record the phrase directly into SF. I then chop out the dialog in front of the sample. When I was doing this on VHS, I would get alot of hiss and and fuzz on playback and sometimes the pitch was jacked (for whatever reason) DVD simply provides a more accurate way to queue your phrases and is a million times cleaner (Digital Audio)

On Midi: Yes, the hook is preserved. The tempo- the sequence- everything. You can just modify the instrument sound. When working on remixes I will sometimes replace the guitar sounds with like a ambient synth part and it will completely change the track- although if you listen closely you can still hear the original vibe. The secret (IMO) to remixing a track is to find the KEY of the track and try to maintain the artists vision of the track.. this form of midi sampling is perfect for that. try it.