Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Remedial Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:35 am
Okay. So who uses this program and can tell me how to create a bass program. Can I get bass guitar sounds out of this program or just sine waves? I know that Novation recently released a software synth program called the V-Station. Would this be better for my bass needs? But it's VST, which I'm guessing means that I would need a program like Reason to run it.

Any answer to any of these questions will be appreciated.

By mullethed Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:00 pm
whas wrong with the bass samples you get in the sound file exchange?? some very tastey bass in there if you look - skip the pc and keep it MPC...

:)

m*

By Remedial Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:54 am
[quote="mullethed"]whas wrong with the bass samples you get in the sound file exchange?? some very tastey bass in there if you look - skip the pc and keep it MPC...

:)

I mean, I feel you on keeping it strictly MPC, but that's hard to do when programs like Recycle make certain tasks so much easier. Also, I'll check out the bass samples in the Sound Exchange, but it's always great to be able to cater a sound to fit your needs, nahmean?

By brainwashcloth Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:11 pm
yeah i am all about the mpc+mypc. some people want to 'keep it real' and sample and slice and do everything on the mpc, i say more power to them, but if you think about it, the realists wouldnt even want sounds from soundxchange that they have to download using a computer. the realists sample everything and keep it all mpc.

you would need a program like cubase to run v-station, reason is not a vsti host. there are some really great vsti synths available that you could make dope bass with, to use in the mpc. junglist is a popular one. you can even make bass sounds in reason on the subtractor or malestrom and export them out to wav and use.

By Remedial Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:40 pm
brainwashcloth wrote:yeah i am all about the mpc+mypc. some people want to 'keep it real' and sample and slice and do everything on the mpc, i say more power to them, but if you think about it, the realists wouldnt even want sounds from soundxchange that they have to download using a computer. the realists sample everything and keep it all mpc.

You're right with that.

you would need a program like cubase to run v-station, reason is not a vsti host. there are some really great vsti synths available that you could make dope bass with, to use in the mpc. junglist is a popular one. you can even make bass sounds in reason on the subtractor or malestrom and export them out to wav and use.

Okay, I have Cubase, although I haven't installed it yet. Do I need a keyboard controller to run Cubase or V-station. If so, I might have to postpone that idea for a bit because I don't have a soundcard that accepts midi (controller's need this right?) and can't afford any additional equipment right now. Basically, I'm looking for easiest and cheapest way to create my own basstones. Which I thought was Stomper, and still might be, but I need info on how to run it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info brainwashcloth.
By egokilla Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:09 am
Here are 40 bass wave’s. You can chop each one up to make a few bass sounds. I would guess you could probably get about 120 wavs out of them, and then you can process them and get even more.

Kit 1:2mb
Kit 2:2mb
Kit 3:2mb
Kit 4:4mb

If you have Recycle:
Open one of the files in Recycle.
Drag the Slider to about 60 (or until you see each hit separated)
Now choose “File-Export” and choose “AKP”
Specify the dir/ and you should have the loose wavs all cut up ‘fer ya.

Each .rar file contains 10 bass wav’s 4 kit’s in all.
If you don’t have a .wav editor for tweaking the sounds- You should at least check out Audacity Then download some free plug ins @ KVR.

Now you should have the tools to create some pimp bass lines for any type of music. Programming Bass is the easiest for me- I use Sine Wavs and Squares and run the through several layers of distortion. (that’s my style though)

By egokilla Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:30 am
Almost Forgot

Play with this thing.

I dont know where I got it from, but I have made some cool sounds with it. You'll probally wanna clean them though.
By Remedial Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:53 pm
egokilla wrote:Here are 40 bass wave’s. You can chop each one up to make a few bass sounds. I would guess you could probably get about 120 wavs out of them, and then you can process them and get even more.

Kit 1:2mb
Kit 2:2mb
Kit 3:2mb
Kit 4:4mb

If you have Recycle:
Open one of the files in Recycle.
Drag the Slider to about 60 (or until you see each hit separated)
Now choose “File-Export” and choose “AKP”
Specify the dir/ and you should have the loose wavs all cut up ‘fer ya.

Each .rar file contains 10 bass wav’s 4 kit’s in all.
If you don’t have a .wav editor for tweaking the sounds- You should at least check out Audacity Then download some free plug ins @ KVR.

Would SoundForge be an appropriate .wav editor for the task of editing the sounds? Also, do you know if SoundForge uses VST plug-ins? So, would you recommend Audacity over SoundForge for this?

Last question: Can chromatic assignment on the MPC help me with my bass programs?

Now you should have the tools to create some pimp bass lines for any type of music. Programming Bass is the easiest for me- I use Sine Wavs and Squares and run the through several layers of distortion. (that’s my style though)

By egokilla Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:21 am
Would SoundForge be an appropriate .wav editor for the task of editing the sounds? Also, do you know if SoundForge uses VST plug-ins? So, would you recommend Audacity over SoundForge for this?

Last question: Can chromatic assignment on the MPC help me with my bass programs?

I would NOT recommend Audacity over SF. SF has just about every option that you would need for editing and beat hacking. I use SF6 and it does not support VST. My VST wav editor is wavelab, and has been for years. I just switched to SF on version 6, within SF I do use VST Adaptor 2.0 to use my VST plugins (Orange Vocoder and VST FX) but that app is kinda buggy. KVR should have some tips on using DX wrappers for VST's. I still love Wavelab

I was not aware that you had a decent editor- but for anyone who doesn't the options listed will get them going.

btw, do you use the synthesis option in SF?
Did you check out BassFX? Silly isn't it?
By trkkazulu Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:27 pm
The best sample editor/sound design tool out there is the MPC with the effects board. And if you have the separate outs you can really rock. I sample into the MPC through any number of hardware processors (compressors, delays, etc). I understand the facination with software editors. Wavelab, Sound Forge, that's some very impressive programming. And you can do some very familiar sounding effects quickly in those programs. Still my question always is: what is it you think you're doing with the software editor that you can't do with the MPC? The MPC used creatively will destroy any of those programs. Unlike a commercial software editor the MPC is a true creative tool. And like any other creative tool, you get out of it what you put in. Are you aware that all of those really cool time based effects in Ohm Boyz can be done on two (or more) pads with an effects board? With software, the host computer and application are your limitations. On the MPC the only limit is your imagination.