Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By TREV Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:03 pm
Thanks for all the help... I know I am beatting a dead horse with this question..... But, I am greatfull for all the help( ok enough ass kissing )

look, I want to go the with a computer for recording.... I have a 4000 with basic gear..... before I get any recording programs( pro tools, ext )...

what kind of computer should I get????? I am leaning toward PC only because of the other things i want to do with it....... but, if most of you guys thing that mac is the best way to go....... I would definilty concider that way.... mostly what I'm looking for is some must have specs for any computer... I have looked a digi web site to see there compatabliles.... just looking for some cool feed back......... thanks Peace !!!!!!!

By Gambles Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:46 pm
I think its just a matter of personal taste. What OS are you more familiar with? This should play a major role if any problems arise, it will make it easier to troubleshoot when you are familiar with the OS. Pro Tools LE is doing a good job of supporting both platforms.

Uno/1

gams
By TREV Thu May 01, 2003 3:06 pm
OS 9 FOR THE MAC........

A LITTLE BIT OF XP.... THANKS FOR THE REPLY
By HoaxOne Fri May 02, 2003 4:02 am
A new Pentium 4 based PC (2 Ghz or higher) with maxxed out ram will do or a new Mac G4 with maxxed out ram will do as well. Emphasis on maxxed out ram. An external firewire (8mb cache) or scsi hard drive will keep your midi syncing on point. That's if you got loot though.
By TREV Fri May 02, 2003 12:49 pm
THANKS ........ THAT IS GOOD INFO
By TREV Fri May 02, 2003 12:52 pm
THANKS ........ THAT IS GOOD INFO

By BreakMyFever Fri May 02, 2003 4:21 pm
Well, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to record for example 8 tracks simultaneously, you will need extra processor power and extra RAM, otherwise you will have latency between the recorded tracks.

Mac vs PC, that's another thing. I think it all comes down to personal preference. The Unix-based kernel of OS X is as (un)stable as the NT kernel of Windows XP, so people telling you OS X is better for audio is pure nonsens. Another thing that's pure nonsense, is that you should use your computer only for audio programs and not install other programs because they "interfere". The only thing that can interfere, is your hardware: it is known that a network adaptor, next to a soundcard, could produce some noise in your recordings. I personally had never such problems.

Personally, I would never buy a Mac because they are just too expensive (and I don't like MacOS). You can have a decent PC for much less money.

Another thing that could help you deciding whether you're going to buy a PC or Mac is the software you're going to use (or used to): the latest version of Cubase (the SX version) is totally re-written for Windows XP, and Logic is bought by Apple and they decided to not develop new versions for the Windows platform (so after v5.5 there will be no newer versions for Windows).

If you're going for a PC with Windows XP, you could check this site where they give usefull tips to tune Windows XP for using with audio programs.
By TREV Fri May 02, 2003 5:00 pm
I really think i am going to get a PC.......... Mainly because I want to use it for other projects like school work and work..... thanks for your input...

thanks to all peace