Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Kaymir Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:34 pm
what up..

I was wondering...the sounds we sample of records were when the record come out already cpmpressed/eq etc..

I sample a sound of that LP..I also compress it...me (Premo :lol: ) put this record out for my man Nas.

Johhny a wack ass digger cops the record an hears this sound..he thinks hmmm i am gonna sample that ****..he got i sampled and also compress it..

and on and on

Is there a moment that compressing/sound tweaking don't have any effect any more? if peeps do the same procces everytime on a sound

feel me?

By brainwashcloth Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:27 pm
i think that would be more of a problem with battle records than anything else (people sampling the same sounds from other battle records over and over).
most people (i hope) sample from older stuff and arent going to run into sampling 3rd generation sampled stuff.

you dont really compress the sound, you compress the levels (which affects the sound), and as long as there is variation in the levels (or you use a lower threshold, higer ratio) you can always add more compression. I could take a kickdrum that someome compressed infinity:1 make a beat (that varies in velocity) and recompress it.
you could in theory over-eq a sound too many times and kill certain frequency ranges from it, but the chances of you trying to apply the same eq settings (freq, Q, etc) that someone else already did, then someone else doing the same in the future are slim. other effects like chorus, reverb, distortion, etc can always be reapplied to a sound (regardless of it's previous processing).

By persu001 Mon May 05, 2003 8:02 am
Wait, I'm Premo...... you're an imposter!!!

By Kaymir Tue May 06, 2003 12:14 am
hahaha :lol: