Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By t Fri May 02, 2003 3:36 pm
the sound of my mpc. when i listen to my trak done on the mpc it sounds just how i want it to. I take it into a professional studio , on a 100,000 pound analougue desk and it sounds completly different. what da ****? any ideas what is goin on?

By brainwashcloth Fri May 02, 2003 4:10 pm
yes, your mix is shit. not trying to be rude but I (and lots of people) run into the same thing all the time.

at home you are not listening to it on monitors with a flat frequency response (like in a real studio) and you are accomidating your speakers, by adding (or subtracting) bass, mids, highs, etc. and messing your mix up. sure it sounds good at home, but in the car, or at a friends house on a stereo it won't sound the same. it will sound alot different, alot better or alot worse. at some point you are going to want to invest in some nice nearfield monitors. these have a flat frequency response, basically they are not bass heavy or dont completely lack the midrange (like my computer speakers). they sound 'true'. they let you really hear how your song sounds and mix based on that.

or you can mix at a real studio (which will cost more money in the long run, but yield much better results until you get really good) and just plan on taking your songs to a studio and paying to track them and mix them with the help of an engineer.

By freq Sat May 03, 2003 9:40 pm
Just like the homey sed, get yourself some NS-10's and you'll really hear what your tracks sound like. Also, don't let just any guy engineer for you. Find someone who's already done stuff like yours who's work you admire.

If you're spending the dough (pounds) to go to a real studio only to get unsatisfactory results, you might as well send me the ProTools files and I'll make your tracks BANG more than ANYBODY. That's what I do. It doesn't cost that much, either. Send a PM if you're interested.

By t Sun May 04, 2003 3:34 pm
my speakers are event 20/20 s ,runnin through a mackie cr1604 desk. shouldnt i get a half decent sound from this ? and the sound im goin for is definatly more beatnuts style rather than the commercial sound

By freq Mon May 05, 2003 7:55 am
You have to really get used to those 20/20's before you know what it should sound like. Some people love them, others (myself included) LOATHE them. Maybe your ears don't like them either...?