Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Mddl Fngr Sat May 03, 2003 2:23 pm
I'm bored with my current set up. The weak link in the chain is my JV 1080. So for the past couple days I been sampling patches into the MP so I can sell it.

Here's the plan. I'ma buy some stuff from GC, sample it, exchange it, repeat. My problem? The MP isn't a multitimbral instrument (I got the og). Plus I'm stuborn and don't want the XL.

Finally the question. What methods do you use to get around that limitation?

And.... if I decide to get another sampler (which is very likely), which would you suggest?

By Mddl Fngr Sat May 03, 2003 7:39 pm
As far as I know, you can only use one program at a time on the original MPC2000. As oppose to the XL in which you can access 4 programs at a time. Which would basically make it a 4part multi-timbral instrument.

The only way I see around the limitation of the original MP is to section off the keyboard and only have an octave per instrument, and thats not always appealling.

I noticed some folk on here that strictly use the MP and nothin else, I was wondering how they work around that problem.

In the long run I'll prolly end up gettin a XL. I'm just stuck in my ways and don't want to get rid of my MP.

By eightsixteen Wed May 07, 2003 4:59 pm
I'm not sure if this totally relates to your problem, but...
I've limited my gear to the MPC, a Roland Juno106 (not multitimbral) and a Mackie 1202 mixer. I'll come up with a beat, then a few cool synth lines. I'll practice the synth parts with the beat and then when I think I'm playing the parts well enough, I'll sample the synth parts into the MPC and layer them on various tracks. The only way I can keep it all in time while sampling is to use a metronome. I'm sure this sounds primitive to most, but I find I am most creative this way.

In your case, you could just record all your synth stuff as actual synth lines and assign them to different pads on one drum program. Then again, this couldn't be accomplished by borrowing synths from GC. It's a good method if you own the synth.

Hope this helps at least shed some light on how others deal with equipment limitations.

By oceanstatekillah Wed May 07, 2003 6:04 pm
u would want the 4000 , it solves all your problems . do some research u will be blown away by the posibilities. and with the 4000 thats what the guitar center 30 day return is all about. a 4000 with the motif triton whatever u want. shyt is ill

By york830 Wed May 07, 2003 6:16 pm
Is it true that you can't use different programs on diff. tracks on the MPC 2000???
By Mddl Fngr Wed May 07, 2003 6:51 pm
I been readin up on the S2000. It looks like it'll do everything I need that my MP can't

Is it true that you can't use different programs on diff. tracks on the MPC 2000???

yup, it's true, that was my problem.

u would want the 4000 , it solves all your problems . do some research u will be blown away by the posibilities. and with the 4000 thats what the guitar center 30 day return is all about. a 4000 with the motif triton whatever u want. shyt is ill

.... short arms/deep pockets...... way out of my reach. Sounds dope doe.
By roxstar Thu May 08, 2003 9:11 am
you really need to access all 4 programs at the same time? We all have different ways of doing things, but I have the XL, and the reason I can't stand using more than 1 program at a time is that when your done, you gotta erase the other programs, purge the unused sounds, or keep saving all the programs. It's a hassle. You have the jv-1010, so go buy yourself some more expansion cards. Roland has a s#itload of expansions for the JV series, so your not lost for sounds. If I was in your boat, I would buy a 12 bit sampler, and some effects. You don't have to spend big bux on an sp-1200, a casio rz-1 would be fine to help grit up some of the drums and samples, and if you haven't added some effects to the 1010, then you really haven't scratched the surface of any module. You already have an MPC, so I wouldn't even think about buying a different one, but if you got the cash then it's up to you. Many hits have been made with that machine, so it's on you to make it work.

By Mddl Fngr Thu May 08, 2003 2:47 pm
>"you really need to access all 4 programs at the same time?"

Yup. Not always all 4, but to at least have the option to access more than one opens up new doors for me.

Lets say I sample'd a piano sound out of my 1080. And for the sequence I need the full range of keys for the piano track. If I did that I'd have no room for drums and other samples, feel me? As far as the hassle of saving and purging and what not .... I have to choose the lesser of two evils, its also a hassle to have to drop a track to a multitracker and recall it ev'rytime I work-on/show-off the song.

The pros of buying an S2000.
compatability w/ the MPC.
access to all the sounds from the 1080 (that I've sampled)
the functions of an actual sampler (as opposed to a drum sampler)
and I see them around for less than a couple of expansion cards.

>".......and if you haven't added some effects to the 1010, then you really haven't scratched the surface of any module."

I been all up and thru thant machine dog. (well... the 1080)

Lastly.... what side of woodward you rep/ who you wit?
By roxstar Thu May 08, 2003 7:38 pm
I'm just realizing your from the "D" also! I'm on the westside, right on 8 mile. I'm not with anyone cuz I can't find anyone that can really spit some good lyrics. I hit Lush up on Wednesdays (hamtramic) and there's a few cats in there that are good, but most that are decent already have something going on. What part of the "D" you from?
Anyways, back to the question, if you do sample a piano, I wouldn't try to play anything difficult from the MPC's pads. Especially if it's from a sound module, just midi it up, and save your pads for your drums/samples. Honestly, I have never needed more than 1 program to save a sequence on, and I try my best to keep the files small (less than a meg if possible). If you sample a piano from wax/cd, and you need to play that back, either chop it into sections, but if you need individual notes, chop the whole thing up, but only assign notes that your going to need. Let me not go on, but I just wouldn't want you to sell your 2000 for that reason. Let me know what solution you come up with tho.

By Mddl Fngr Thu May 08, 2003 7:59 pm
SQUO.....

I'm on the west... Livernois near Grand River. You know what I find funny? Most of the tight rappers here (that aint lazy) would rather freestyle to a 50 beat than have they own shit..... I KNOW its some tight production talent here, but everybody wants somethin for nothin. They don't wanna pay for shit.

anyway... you got it twisted. I'ma get rid of my 1080. I don't see myself parting ways with my MP anytime soon. The S2000 would be in addition to, not instead of.

ps. I'm always up for collabs (I spit too). HOLLA.

By ieism Fri May 09, 2003 10:39 am
Good call. If you get sick of the sounds of your module, or didn't like 80% of them in the first place, a rack sampler sounds like a good solution.

:idea: One piece of advice though before you buy..... :idea:

Get one with maxed out memory right away. RAM memory for these older samplers is really expensive, and almost impossible to find second hand. Some times more expensive than what you payed for the sampler.

By mpc3000 Fri May 16, 2003 5:24 am
"access to all the sounds from the 1080 (that I've sampled)"

From the MPC? The S2000 will not read or load MPC disks.

"RAM memory for these older samplers is really expensive, "

Not a problem with the S2000. It uses the same common SIMMs that is used in the MPC2000. I get them for free all the time.

"I can't stand using more than 1 program at a time is that when your done, you gotta erase the other programs, purge the unused sounds, or keep saving all the programs. It's a hassle. "

It's a hassle to have more than 1 program at a time? Geez I'd hate to see you use a REAL sampler like the S2000 where you have dozens of programs loaded in memory. If you are strained over purging the sounds, just restart the machine or just save an APS file.

By KoolSha178 Fri May 16, 2003 6:58 am
Damn, you fools really know how to overcomplicate things....

couldnt he just sample the sounds into soundforge and catalogue them on his comps hard drive as wav files and so on and so forth, then transfer them over via zip or floppy when needed.....