Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By StigmurdA Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:48 am
Yeah I'm going through a spell of beat block at the moment and I don't know if i need a change of scenery,inspiration or what so I'll try everything at once. I was reading Rza's book and he makes his music facing the east looking at a waterfall or something :shock: ...........i think that's a little extreme in my case but if it works it works.............what does it for yall?

By TFunk13 Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:00 am
A lot of different things inspire me to make music. For the most part a real good movie will do it, reading a cool book, or getting laid. Or even getting a new piece of gear to throw in the mix will get you creative. Maybe find some killer samples to use. Personally I find a bong hit will add some creativity most of the time. But sometimes you end up spacing out for a long time and not accomplishing anything.

By Living Bate Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:27 am
sometimes I feel a little break can be good for the block. Take a week or maybe even two...where you don't even try to make a tune or really even think about it....then before you know it it'll be like before you could make tunes and you start itching to make something again.

Don't sit in front of your MPC if ya not inspired....it can be soul destroying.

Bless,

LB

By Antonym Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:40 pm
to start with, begin a song NOT in front of your studio, if at all possible. find your sample in a public library. conceive your song outline in the car. think up a nice bassline while beating your neighbor's kids with your belt.

i find this always works. it rips through a beat block.

By guesswhosback Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:19 pm
i find myself hummin tunes to myself in the shower all the time

singin in the rain

then try put em down on the mac

By c.toon Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:36 pm
other music, alcohol, weed, sex, holidays, movies, discussions (real life mostly) or....a total music break for a few days!
.toon

By fader-pro Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:18 pm
Sometimes you don't have the liberty to "take a break" from it. Especially if you are on a deadling or making music for hire. When I find myseld unable to create in the normal fashion (For me, I start with drums or bass them work on melody or other rythm instruments) approach your music from a different angle - Write the melody first, or start with a guitar or vocal line and build from there. Just changing the way you work will do wonders. Someone else suggested a new piece of gear. I agree - even if it is borrowed, a new tome module, drum, saxophone -whatever will inspire you to get back to work.

By charlieocali Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:12 pm
Nothing helps me like a good workflow, seems like I was making so many more beats when all I had was the triton. To many options can just mess my whole flow up sometimes, so for me simplicity and order is ky.

2nd for me there is nothing ike a clean workspace, when everything in the lab is organized and in its place, I find it very insperational.

By dj e.d.e Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:17 am
some nag champa and some records, sometimes a few days off the box just listening to records,
like today i havent made any thing in a few days so i started puttin away records that i have bought in the last3 three months i had like 500+ records to put away, i put a few records away while listening to others and i found this break that i really like'd so turn on the mpc and sampled it and the next thing you know it's 11:30 and i have a complete'd new song a D-N-B track it my first ever adn it all started like i said with that nag and some records it just does it for me .
some times a glass of wine too.

By threshed Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:21 am
I upgrade my skills. Learn a bunch of new sh!t and you wont be able to help but try it out. Works everytime. Its just like getting new gear. Just go back and forth between learning and creating and you wont get bored with either.

By dennison Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:50 am
Just quit. Your beatblock is permanent.

By LaJProd Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 am
dennison wrote:Just quit. Your beatblock is permanent.

Damn man that was kinda harsh....lol!!!!
By mpc4000xl Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:37 am
StigmurdA wrote:Yeah I'm going through a spell of beat block at the moment and I don't know if i need a change of scenery,inspiration or what so I'll try everything at once. I was reading Rza's book and he makes his music facing the east looking at a waterfall or something :shock: ...........i think that's a little extreme in my case but if it works it works.............what does it for yall?

4 Starters REMOVE ALL PAUL WALL References!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Will KILL MOTIVATION NOT TO MENTION BRAIN CELLS!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: .. :lol:

BUT SERIOUSLY TRY To Get with a GOOD or GREAT Writer................

And Design A Track Around that Writer's Lyrics.....................

Do A Remix or a Mash UP...........................

Take A VERS SIMPLISTIC OVERUSED LOOP OR SOUND AND twist n Effect It Un Till IT Bleedz...................

Change Ur Process If U Start With Drums FLIP And START WITH KEYS etc............

Listen to An Off Genre...........Folk..(Yuck)......County.....(Workz for Nelly) :lol:

Study masters........................................
take a Track And Break it Down......BPM, Song Structure, Instrument Selection, FX ETC...................................

Hey Roni Size Says: Just Play Around And Don't Force It On Some I MUST...I MUST ...............No...........Jus' Have Fun...............

These things will Help ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) .. 8) .. 8) .. 8)

By BBoy2005 Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:45 am
Antonym wrote:think up a nice bassline while beating your neighbor's kids with your belt.

i find this always works. it rips through a beat block.

:lol: