Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By itchyvinyl Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:50 pm
The Beat Conductor wrote:I understand everything except for one thing.

When you sequence bounce tracks, your supposed to sequence your kicks and snares early and your hi-hats normally. The problem with that is the kick won't start on the one, so when you play the sequence from the beginning your going to hear hi-hats first.

Thanks for all the help so far, I just to need to understand this and I'm good.

If you're only dealing with Kick, Snare, and Hat......

Kick & Snare early, and Hat normal........
is the same as..... Kick & Snare normal, and Hat late.
It's all relative.

But man, don't go by rules like that. Use your ears, and apply the settings that SOUND the best for THE SONG that you're working on.

By dubmunkey Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 am
my rule:

dance beats: use quantize and swing but still have to kick things around- the quantize is for the locked beat, the swing or other placed notes are for the groove

Non-dance (or realistic beats): turn quantize off and get used to tapping the beats in- seriously you may sound shit at first but after a while you'll be hitting more accurately and also you'll being to hear whats wrong with your missed hits and go and move them forward or back accordingly...i think this is due to you defining your own groove in your head rather than referencing the metronome timing..but either way when you are doing real sounding beats (read boom-bap hip hop for you one genre cats :D ) turn the quantize off, when you need a locked beat turn it on just to lay down a solid foundation and then turn it off again...

this was one of the main reaons i bought the mpc and if you are not using it to drum your own beats in you could essentially use any otrher sequencer and your music wouldn't get any worse

greg
By The Beat Conductor Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:13 pm
I have learned that sometimes it's all about where you place your hi-hats or where you place your kick and snare that give you a certain feel with your drums.

By fader-pro Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:53 pm
Why is it that folks who admittedly sample entire sections of someone elses songs have a problem with "sounding like someone else" ?
By b-north Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 pm
y'all ****** suck all of y'all i got a mpc 2000xl and a mpc 1000 and i don't quantize because I can play the swing and make all another samples have it too y'all suck . y'all limited af while and can place a note anywhere in the beat with no doubt
By MrDismal Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 am
b-north wrote:y'all ****** suck all of y'all i got a mpc 2000xl and a mpc 1000 and i don't quantize because I can play the swing and make all another samples have it too y'all suck . y'all limited af while and can place a note anywhere in the beat with no doubt

Why don't you stop whining like a girl and go make your "dope" beats then. Herb
By Living Bate Thu May 25, 2017 7:29 am
bloke dug out a thread thats 12 years old to boast about how fuggin nice he is with the MPC....

i bet 12 years ago bloke was on Hip Hop eJay...playing those dope beats to his gran....
By Lampdog Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 pm
b-north wrote:y'all ****** suck all of y'all i got a mpc 2000xl and a mpc 1000 and i don't quantize because I can play the swing and make all another samples have it too y'all suck . y'all limited af while and can place a note anywhere in the beat with no doubt

You can't even *insult* properly. Why should I believe you?

Re:

By widnikprod Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 pm
The Beat Conductor wrote:I understand everything except for one thing.

When you sequence bounce tracks, your supposed to sequence your kicks and snares early and your hi-hats normally. The problem with that is the kick won't start on the one, so when you play the sequence from the beginning your going to hear hi-hats first.

Thanks for all the help so far, I just to need to understand this and I'm good.
By Hepkat Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:45 pm
I used to be obsessed with finding the ultimate groove for my drums too and it's only when I decided to finally turn off quantize that I really started to develop my own groove! You'll definitely make a couple of really whack beats before you start to get better with the timing but its definitely worth suffering! I don't use quantize on anything anymore instrument samples included and I swear it makes everything sound way more organic! I dont use full level on my drums anymore either and it makes a serious difference! Sometimes I find myself going into step edit though and editing velocities! You can also step edit the attack, decay and pitch of individual hits, the more variety and individuality you have on your drums the more organic they will become and the better they will flow together!
By Hepkat Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm
Usually what I do is lay in the hats first with quantize and full level off , this is kinda your metronome. Then lay the kicks and snares in on a different track so they're jamming together. Then just duplicate the kick and snare track and delete the kicks out of one and the snare out of the other!
By Hepkat Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm
Yeah thats true but I like to hit the kicks and the snares together on the same track so they gel nice! Dunno thats just what I like to do!
By Lampdog Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:00 pm
Same here. I put snare, kik on same track when initially making a beat.
Use a lot of swing, go into step edit and push/pull notes to wherever I need them to be.
Seperate kicks and snares to their own tracks later.