Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By HRTL Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 pm
Hey guys! I just randomly pop few tips on finger drumming fast or complex beats with ease. no ads or other crap. cheers! :mrgreen:
By Kabeam Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:55 am
If you dig up a drumbreak that is in 16th notes (ta-ta-ta-ta). Lets say it is for 2 bars. Then chop it 16 times so you have two 16 notes every chop. Then pitch down all a bit and you can make them 16(3) notes. (ta--tata--tata--tata) aka swing.
By Molotovbeatz Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm
sirparksalot wrote:
es-k wrote:find where your kick is punchiest (what freq)... then go over to your bass/low part of sample and cut a little of that freq

= clarity

Combine this with high pass filtering your kick or bass depending on which dominates the low/sub frequencies

I didnt understand this, can someone please explain?
By tapedeck Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 pm
Molotovbeatz wrote:
find where your kick is punchiest (what freq)... then go over to your bass/low part of sample and cut a little of that freq

= clarity
Combine this with high pass filtering your kick or bass depending on which dominates the low/sub frequencies

I didnt understand this, can someone please explain?

they're basically saying don't put too much of the same frequency in the mix.

if the bass and kick are hitting some of the same frequencies, filter or eq that frequency out a little bit from one of the sources.

also protip - an eq is a filter, they both do similar things.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 pm
tapedeck wrote:also protip - an eq is a filter, they both do similar things.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know that.

Then again, maybe you wouldn't.

:lol:
By peterpiper Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 am
I decided to have a nit-picking day :D
An EQ band is a filter. Since an EQ no matter if graphic or parametric have more than one band it has as much filters as bands.
peace
sorry Its 4am and I can't sleep and I'm bored.
By Hepkat Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:10 am
Someone said that New York compression will change your game for the better! I couldn't agree more! One thing I do when I NYC my drums is to leave a lot of tail end on the wet track and keep the decay short on the dry track! This way you can keep the air in your drums with the wet track while the dry track still snaps with the short decay!

Re:

By Danoc Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm
Upright wrote:Nice. :D

Yo Upright that Beat you have in on your soundcloud below is FLAMING HOT! THAT ISH IS HARD! :worthy:
By dknblze Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Since I'm tired of using computers to arrange my songs (and my MPC feels limited in terms of automation), I just connect my MPC to an old Zoom MRS-4 4-track recorder, press record on the 4-track, and record myself doing all of the musical changes (e.g., mutes, drops, changeovers, etc.) myself. Although I run the risk of messing up a take and having to start over, overall, I'm able to finish songs a lot faster (since I don't have to send out each track to the computer), and the rush of performing live is unbeatable.
By MagneticJointz Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 am
If anyone on here makes beats like this or similar to this, would you please drop some knowledge on how this type of drum programming can be done?
I am on an MPC 1000 (JJOS3) and SP404sx if it matters.
Please, anyone! I have always had an ear for this type of production, but I simply just do not know how to get it done. I’m specifically wondering how this can be done when chopping up drum breaks, as that can be really fun.
Thank you so much!

Links for reference:

https://soundcloud.com/leem-lizzy/skepta-butter-2

https://soundcloud.com/indescribableindy/westkotbounce

https://soundcloud.com/b_z_k_t/i-just-wanna-die
By peterpiper Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:16 am
MagneticJointz wrote:If anyone on here makes beats like this or similar to this, would you please drop some knowledge on how this type of drum programming can be done?
I am on an MPC 1000 (JJOS3) and SP404sx if it matters.
Please, anyone! I have always had an ear for this type of production, but I simply just do not know how to get it done. I’m specifically wondering how this can be done when chopping up drum breaks, as that can be really fun.
Thank you so much!

Links for reference:

https://soundcloud.com/leem-lizzy/skepta-butter-2

https://soundcloud.com/indescribableindy/westkotbounce

https://soundcloud.com/b_z_k_t/i-just-wanna-die

Don't know what you specifically mean but what all tracks have in common is volume automation on the sample. It can be done with a sidechain compressor or a tremolo fx or manually in a DAW by drawing the volumecurve.

EDIT: oh the drum programming...... just play around, for example program a simple beat and shift for example the hi hats tick by tick. It will sound completly off at first but there will be positions that sound off but interesting and some will sound really dope.

peace
By CookieD Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:40 pm
dknblze wrote:Since I'm tired of using computers to arrange my songs (and my MPC feels limited in terms of automation), I just connect my MPC to an old Zoom MRS-4 4-track recorder, press record on the 4-track, and record myself doing all of the musical changes (e.g., mutes, drops, changeovers, etc.) myself. Although I run the risk of messing up a take and having to start over, overall, I'm able to finish songs a lot faster (since I don't have to send out each track to the computer), and the rush of performing live is unbeatable.

This is something I'm so tempted to try but I guess I'm scared of mucking it up.
By CookieD Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:48 pm
Here's something I discovered over the weekend that completely surprised me.

You know how Sequences in the MPC are automatically set to Loop? Well I always assumed that when you turn loop off the sequence will stop playing at the end.

But I discovered that if you have Record on and Loop off, the sequence just keeps going indefinitely (well I guess it ends at some stage)! This means if I set my drum and bass tracks to loop at say 16 beats, then hit Record and play, the sequence will keep playing and I can jam onto another track for as long as I like. Life changing!

It's really helpful for me as I like to jam synth leads and then go back and edit out the crap.

Apologies if y'all knew this already :P
By Masenkoooo Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:55 pm
MPC 1000 w/free jjos 3.16
drum breaks:
1 break beat - chop 3 times, changing the starting point to the kick, snare and hi-hat (sample1_k, sample1_s, sample1_h) (keeps all the air in between the sounds and you can make a more simple or more complex break out of the break you're using)

drum kits:
have your favorites close to you (808, 909, Rhythm King, CR78 etc) lately the small drum kits been doing a lot more for me than 1,000+ sound kits, make programs out of these kits and have em readily available

master program:
have a master program to load before you start recording/making beats
current program settings
bank 1: mono, bank 2: mono + mute group 1, bank 3: mono + mute group 2 (all pads +fx1 in mixer), bank 4: mono or poly (all pads +fx2 in mixer)
input: thru on

eq settings: (play with em til you get em right, this has a nice bump for me lately, doesn't sound paper thin or too boosted and when i turn on compressor it doesn't distort much but brings the bass back up to a nice level) (if i turn compressor on i'll mess with the master eq settings again)

H: 2000 +00
1: 3500 + 00 05
2: 500 +00 05
L: 100 +00

Compressor: off (with these settings baked in)
Threshold: -20
Gain: +6
Ratio: 25:1
Attack: 99
Decay: 99

FX1: 4 band eq (default settings)
FX2: Chorus (default settings)

Since im making more master programs i want to do some with different tunings, one with the first 16 notes on a keyboard, another one with just the black keys, another with quartertone settings, etc
By moonlake Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:25 am
on MPC One etc family,

try the following chain as send fx:

Nonlinear Reverb ( reverse)
Diode Clipper
Talk Box
Reverb

if you move the reverse reverb to the program,
you can also additionally add HalfSpeed after the TalkBox

the result is an instant humming voice that hums syllabels along with your track,
offset by the reverse delay, its really cool, especially when you have additional rhythmical
delays in the input