Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By sciguy Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:11 am
I bet this has been said before, but I used an interesting trick on a song I made recently.

I wanted some claps, but I wanted them natural-sounding, so I recorded 8 claps (mono) with my mike, roughly trimmed them (not bring careful about the start points) then assigned them to 8 pads. Panned randomly left and right, added some random LFO to pitch, turned off full level and quantization, and just slapped my hand randomly on the group of 8 pads for 4 bars.
Also I set a 9th pad to random cycle mode, between 4 of those random clap pads, so I used that pad whenever I wanted a single clap.

Not too prominent here, but just a little detail that adds a bit more character to the track.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 am
I've done that same clap creating method before and it works well. Sounds really good when you take time and do it.
By sciguy Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 am
Took a glance at the manual, I think not. It would be an additional option on the MUTE/SIMULT select field.

Only in 2XL (and maybe 128/XL or 3, I don't know)
By sirparksalot Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 am
es-k wrote:find where your kick is punchiest (what freq)... then go over to your bass/low part of sample and cut a little of that freq

= clarity

Combine this with high pass filtering your kick or bass depending on which dominates the low/sub frequencies
By Lampdog Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:31 pm
I use filters on individual sounds/tracks alot doing this exact same thing.
By sirparksalot Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 am
Lampdog wrote:I use filters on individual sounds/tracks alot doing this exact same thing.

Yup.
By quietizkept Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:05 pm
For some reason Chrome browser thinks that this thread has malware. A dirty link maybe? I hope this thread doesn't go away, I'm really enjoying it. :hmmm: Getting the security warning on both my tablet & laptop.
By d. realist Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:42 pm
Ok, I thought about sharing a trick I used yesterday. Might be something most of people know, but whatever.

I had a really nice loop with a dope bassline too, but it also had some drum hits that didn't sound good with my drums. What I did was copying the program of my loop, so I had two copies. I used the low pass filter on the first to isolate the bassline and I used the band pass filter on the second one to keep the frequencies I wanted, making the drum hits disappear. I layered those two together and it sounded really nice. :smoker:

I'm using an MPC 1000 with JJOS 2XL by the way.
By richie Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:10 pm
@d. realist - if you do this with the phase inverted, you can also create other interesting effects as well. Some in which completely removing layers of instruments without any flanging artifacts.
By d. realist Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm
Thanks for the feedback! You mean inverting one of the two copies before layering them, right?
Definitely going to experiment with this one. :-D