Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:19 am
Donlong wrote:
Dj Pound wrote:find your sample, filter it out, f*ck with the EQ...kill the highs and mids bring out the lows, add resonance, normalize your sample, and COMPRESS the s*t out of it.

If that doesnt make it stand out more, i dont know what will

any general compressor setting/guidelines/ numerical ranges u reccomend?

U just gave me an idea - i will filter and res edit the bassline in my mpc, then use the compressor in sonar 3 just not sure wat settings to put (i only have compressor knowledge regarding recording vocals)

You do realize that this thread is 22 months old right? Just letting you know, responses/mileage may vary.
By Donlong Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:39 am
Lampdog wrote:You do realize that this thread is 22 months old right? Just letting you know, responses/mileage may vary.

LOL how the hell did i find it or reply to it...thats wierd.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 am
I don't know but I was laughing my azz off at it.
It's cool though. No big deal.
This happens every now and then.

People will still respond cause they wanna know too.

Did you see the date of your post and the post before your first one, HAHAHAHA.
By Donlong Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:11 pm
Lampdog wrote:I don't know but I was laughing my azz off at it.
It's cool though. No big deal.
This happens every now and then.

People will still respond cause they wanna know too.

Did you see the date of your post and the post before your first one, HAHAHAHA.

YEAH i did LOL i was like wtf! last nite i stayed up till 7 a.m studying and simultaneously posting on the forum so i probably did a search for pete rock and replied to this thread!
By mhann Fri May 28, 2010 1:53 pm
could someone tell how the LPF is like on the 2500 (w/jj os) when creating filtered basslines?

im not getting mine til next week but wanna figure out before hand if it'd be better to use the LPF on the 2500 or the triton extreme..
By Menco Fri May 28, 2010 6:41 pm
It gets the job done.
Pick the right sample, record at a proper level. I always like to cut and boost on the dj mixer and the graphic equalizer before recording the sample.
Then u can get some nice results
By Menco Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:24 am
Ur welcome.

With the 2500, use the lowpass (1 or 2, really depends on what kind of bass sample u have) in combination with the highpass like others posters mentioned before. It takes away some mud and brings back the punch in some occasions.
By Menco Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:52 pm
Depends. When I use the bass that's already in the main sample I won't sample it again. Just copy the program and track and filter out the copyed program.

If I want to turn a sample into a bassline to layer it with stabs and chops from other records I filter out some highs with the graphic EQ before sampling.
By peeping tom Mon May 28, 2012 5:20 am
yeh man, there are heaps of ways to do this.....

use the EQ on your TT mixer.

Use the EQ in the mpc, then re-bounce, then filter it. then re-bounce. etc

filter, eq, filter, EQ - mix it up, get creative, think about what you want out of the sound and how you will get it.

you dont think it was one easy step my man, it was a few / if not several steps to get it sounding right, using prob a combination of carefull sampling, filtering, EQing and compression, but one thing will trump all, make sure your sample is good first

and Menco is bang on the money, if the sample got a good line i will literally copy that over and copy the prog and refilter.
By roxstar Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am
Just play around with the sound till you get what you want. Really, there is no mystery to the madness. Pete and Premier are using the same tools that we are. All the scientific mathematical equations and hardware/software plug-in solutions are not necessary. Any MPC and some dedicated time is all you need..