Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By The_Sexual_Intellectual Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:33 am
As someone who started as a drummer and a pianist I can attest to having the experience of having a hard time starting to produce on a computer. After I got an MPC that had a tactile interface, it felt like I was playing an instrument again instead of clicking a mouse and the grooves just flowed out of me without issue. Clicking around on menus can take the inspiration and natural flow out of production and can certainly interfere with your ability to get a good boom bap feel. That being said. Looking into a way to add in swing to the your DAW's quantize function should help a whole lot in making your grooves sound more natural, so look into the swing ratio on your daw before your start laying down your beat. Also, Getting a midi conroller, should help out a lot. I do a much better job when I can hit keys and pads. Just make sure that if you are using a midi controller, that your computer's/audio interfaces buffer rate is as low as your computer can handle and try to keep your latency down low. The latency on my computer used to really interfere with what kind of beats I could make!