Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Shootah Sat May 26, 2007 5:19 pm
Thanks for all the help and constructive criticism! I'm real tight for dough right now though so I think I will focus on gaining knowledge right now. Start buying more vinyl and listening. Thanks again.

By c0mplex Sat May 26, 2007 6:34 pm
djray182 wrote:the next addition to your set up should be an mpc, trust me, it is much easier to get "flow" out of an mpc then out of Fl Studio unless you have one of the Mpd's but still:

Whatever midi controller u use to trigger ur samples makes NO DIFFERENCE to ur drum flow, even if u use no controller and program with a mouse.. it all comes down to urself and ur skills like everyone said.

By Antonym Sat May 26, 2007 8:48 pm
Whatever midi controller u use to trigger ur samples makes NO DIFFERENCE to ur drum flow, even if u use no controller and program with a mouse.. it all comes down to urself and ur skills like everyone said.

ehhh i get where you're going but i mean ... you could make something that sounds the same by programming via mouse and via mpc sequencer and pads

like if you were given drum sheet music and said "recreate this on both the pc using Acid or Reason and with an MPC"

but of course there is something to be said for proficiency with a playable instrument - ie a drumpad controller ie mpc or mpd.

you can't really get good at "playing" the mouse.

but what you are saying is right, the end product can sound exactly the same either way given the skill/experience/patience/committment of the programmer.

By c0mplex Sun May 27, 2007 12:12 am
Antonym wrote:

ehhh i get where you're going but i mean ... you could make something that sounds the same by programming via mouse and via mpc sequencer and pads

like if you were given drum sheet music and said "recreate this on both the pc using Acid or Reason and with an MPC"

but of course there is something to be said for proficiency with a playable instrument - ie a drumpad controller ie mpc or mpd.

you can't really get good at "playing" the mouse.

but what you are saying is right, the end product can sound exactly the same either way given the skill/experience/patience/committment of the programmer.

Yeah of course.. and i know what u sayin man..

It is better to play them, and more fun to program that way usin pads or keys.. but regardless to that u could sit and make the same drum pattern u got in ur head usin mouse to program..

Coz drums aint a random thing like makin ur pattern and stickin to it, drums have to work cohiesivly with melody and same the other way around.. some times i start with melody sequence some times i start with drums.. some times i do half half and go back and forth between them but which ever route i take some sh!ts always bein edited again workin back and forth to work everything together as 1...

I start off bangin my sh!t out on midi keys (i use rack sampler not mpc, although i wanna get mpd to work with it) and then do touchin up and slight variations alot with the mouse, although still jam certain things workin variations with keys, changes time to time dependin whats goin on same with most peeps no one keeps to a set routine.

Good points u said yeah, good too coz some times peeps dont elaborate enough ( i know i dont alot) and i noticed u always come in and sum everything up makin sure nothin missed lol.

and yeah its much better to program sh!t usin pads.. but either way this mans problem with programmin with swing all comes down to himself and his skills, coz if he knows how they supposed to work he should be able to program them with mouse even if he cant / before he can play well and in time with the pads / keys etc

By cyrus Tue May 29, 2007 5:20 pm
i wouldnt say its all him.

The "overall workflow" of the mpc compared to FL or some other piece, may give you a differant feel.

When i make a beat on the mpc, it inspires me, and is condusive to a certain way of makin beats. When i make a beat on just my keyboard, or FL.......it sounds differant, it has a differant vibe to it. yeah you can make it all sound the same and as good with anything if you got skills................

but certain pieces force you to go about things (even if they are the same things) in a differant way.......thus leading to differant feel and sound.

its like a Escalade vs Hummer, both big boats, get you from point A to B, both very usable, but they feel differant when you driving them............

get an mpc. **** FL

By merrick Tue May 29, 2007 11:15 pm
cyrus wrote:When i make a beat on the mpc, it inspires me, and is condusive to a certain way of makin beats.

This is the often overlooked hidden power of the MPC. So many times I've just been sat there with the pads and come up with something and thought 'I'd never have come up with that if I'd been using a keyboard'. Sometimes these quite random things inspire!

That's just as important as the feel of the sequencer and the way the converters sound. The MPC as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, that's pretty much why we all use them.

By Cazillac Thu May 31, 2007 6:32 am
djray182 wrote:the next addition to your set up should be an mpc, trust me, it is much easier to get "flow" out of an mpc then out of Fl Studio unless you have one of the Mpd's but still:

when it comes to drum programming, nothing beats the quantization, and sequence engine in the mpc.

yes MPC should have priority, unless you are just drum dumb, I'm biased for a reason

By TheFirstJimBo Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:23 am
dump your drums to piano roll and set the grid to "none" and move the notes around till you get that boom bap swing.
By Icepulse Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 pm
There's more spontaneity with the pads. Closest thing to sitting behind a kit. Not that the arrangement of notes can't be identical; just that it's a question of performance vs. notation. I find that the physicality of an MPC results in (for me, anyway) more organic ideas. Clicking notes on and off until it "sounds right" tends to bore me, and causes me to lose interest before the final bar. If I don't like something I dropped during a take on the MPC, I just start over completely. In the same amount of time it takes to sequence one 4-8 bar beat, I can drop 15 takes on the MPC. There's something to be said for fresh takes.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:58 pm
He could have used this advice 9 years ago though.
By Icepulse Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:51 am
Lampdog wrote:He could have used this advice 9 years ago though.

Even more relevant today, w/ the fly MPC Touch! LOL.
By Lampdog Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:33 pm
mpc fly, eww, lol.

Touch hardware, seems cool, but, don't like and have never liked the software.