Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Shootah Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:34 pm
I've been trying to make some boom bap type drum patterns on FL Studio but it sounds like crap with no flow. I messed around with shifted em around and the velocities but it just is no good.

Is there something about working on the MPC or just using pads instead of a mouse that puts that special something into the boom bap?

By jaem Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:42 pm
sound source

By Shootah Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 pm
Yeah I understand that if you got good drums that will make it sound good but I also mean the flow of the beat. It has no flow to me.

By The Translucent Mind Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Shootah wrote:Yeah I understand that if you got good drums that will make it sound good but I also mean the flow of the beat. It has no flow to me.

I hate to break it to you, friend, but thats not something that the drum sequencer can take the blame for. "Flow" is something you either create or alter and make it yours. YOU have to capture the flow and then let it come naturally...if its meant to do so

By cooocooo1 Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:04 pm
The Translucent Mind wrote:
Shootah wrote:Yeah I understand that if you got good drums that will make it sound good but I also mean the flow of the beat. It has no flow to me.

I hate to break it to you, friend, but thats not something that the drum sequencer can take the blame for. "Flow" is something you either create or alter and make it yours. YOU have to capture the flow and then let it come naturally...if its meant to do so

:!:

its you, not fl...

By EMFinite Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 pm
cooocooo1 wrote:
The Translucent Mind wrote:

:!:

its you, not fl...

yup...

if you get a midi controller you'd be straight. hell, you can even use your actual computer keyboard and program (record) in real time..

LEARN the program.. go to FL forum and get to learning..

By marlowilliams Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:11 am
do this.. use the step sequencer .. not the grid edit or piano roll as they say .. program your main kick and use a different kick and set the cutoff to cutoff the first kick .. then go to humanize and use the push pull or one of the other presets on the 2nd kick.. this is the kick that preceeds the main kick and the snare ..for that boom bap type feel. this is one of several ways to do it.. basically you are making one kick trigger later and have a skip feel.. you could even use the same kick for both samples.. just change the filter and decay to make it sound tighter..

viola..

By Shootah Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:20 am
Thanks everyone, I guess I kinda knew that FL isn't too blame I just gotta use some techniques on the drums.

But can I ask this: Do you need to fool around with any special techniques on the MPC or can you just straight knock out some boom bap?

oh and check out my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bqwik

By 93 Kid Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 pm
Shootah wrote:Thanks everyone, I guess I kinda knew that FL isn't too blame I just gotta use some techniques on the drums.

But can I ask this: Do you need to fool around with any special techniques on the MPC or can you just straight knock out some boom bap?

to be blunt...there is no magic "boom bap" button or technique. Its called having "skills." Accept no substitute!

By mindcontrol Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:15 pm
93 Kid wrote:
Shootah wrote:Thanks everyone, I guess I kinda knew that FL isn't too blame I just gotta use some techniques on the drums.

to be blunt...there is no magic "boom bap" button or technique. Its called having "skills." Accept no substitute!
By talontsiawd Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:48 am
Shootah wrote:
Is there something about working on the MPC or just using pads instead of a mouse that puts that special something into the boom bap?

I agree with what others have posted, but, if an mpc suits you better, yeah, you actually can find yourself making better music. You should be able to make good music on anything if you are talented but certain gear might help you do things easier, feel better, etc.

By Cazillac Tue May 01, 2007 4:12 am
start listening to some jazz, soul, and rock drummers... peep the patterns, the velocities, variations in sound.

now once you've got a good understanding of whats been done by live drummers, create your own style and roll widdit.

btw, I prefer bangin on some pads to get that Boom Bap feel...

By talontsiawd Tue May 01, 2007 5:16 am
Cazillac wrote:
btw, I prefer bangin on some pads to get that Boom Bap feel...

That's the one thing i can really say about an mpc the will really make a difference, if that's something you need. I've messed around with various controllers, even with a good computer and very low latancy, it's not the same. To me, i don't mind programming drums, i like pads for bass, controllers work fine for that. But i've defineatly seen some people make tremedous leeps with drum work after an mpc. If you are like me and just tap out little things one by one, it really won't do much though

By djray182 Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 am
the next addition to your set up should be an mpc, trust me, it is much easier to get "flow" out of an mpc then out of Fl Studio unless you have one of the Mpd's but still:

when it comes to drum programming, nothing beats the quantization, and sequence engine in the mpc.