Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By marrelarre Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 am
Sup guys, made a new beat tape i'd like to show and get some feedback on.

Recorded it to cassette this time (a liiil bit too loud i admit but i didnt wanna rerecord for 60 more minutes).

MPC3000, SP303, Ensoniq DP4, Microkorg, Emax 1 + a SP1200 beat (dont have a SP anymore tho).

All feedback welcomed! :nod:
By damien907 Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 pm
the first beat has hella bounce, its super lazy sounidng but right on point quantize wise, or loose played however you did it, its sick. did you play any of this in the first beat, or sample it all?

i wasnt feeling the second beat quite as much, but its still pretty dope, i wouldnt skip over it if it was a cd in the whip. maybe its more about placement, i feel a different beat could have been after the first one, and this one would be dope as an outro imo.

the transition to the 3rd beat is sick though, i like the lo fi sound of this, the sparse arrangment fits really well. and the change up around 5:10ish is really dope for this beat. the outro fits really well too, where you drop the drums out, and it goes nice into the fade in intro of the next beat too.

im feeling the drums on this one, there is a lot going on without sounding too cluttered. i usually like more in your face up front boom bap drums, but i think in this "style," the drums arent the forefront of the track, but at the same time they really make it flow along, and bring everything together.and your mix fits that vibe really well.

is this tape downloadable? id love to give it some more spins, i could see myself listening to this a lot, for the chill out relaxed vibe it gives off.
By marrelarre Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 am
damien907 wrote:the first beat has hella bounce, its super lazy sounidng but right on point quantize wise, or loose played however you did it, its sick. did you play any of this in the first beat, or sample it all?

i wasnt feeling the second beat quite as much, but its still pretty dope, i wouldnt skip over it if it was a cd in the whip. maybe its more about placement, i feel a different beat could have been after the first one, and this one would be dope as an outro imo.

the transition to the 3rd beat is sick though, i like the lo fi sound of this, the sparse arrangment fits really well. and the change up around 5:10ish is really dope for this beat. the outro fits really well too, where you drop the drums out, and it goes nice into the fade in intro of the next beat too.

im feeling the drums on this one, there is a lot going on without sounding too cluttered. i usually like more in your face up front boom bap drums, but i think in this "style," the drums arent the forefront of the track, but at the same time they really make it flow along, and bring everything together.and your mix fits that vibe really well.

is this tape downloadable? id love to give it some more spins, i could see myself listening to this a lot, for the chill out relaxed vibe it gives off.

Thanks for the great review man!

The first beat I sampled a simple sample and halved the tempo to give it more room to breathe and played bass, drums & percussions.

and for that second beat its funny i actually thought the same a few days back "damn this comes in too early, shoudlve been something else here".

And the drums is intresting aspect, never thought about it that way but i guess its a matter of side chain and getting levels good, i wouldnt mind my drums being loud as **** but you gotta sacrifice some of that to get decent levels = side chain like crazy.
(Also i would say the bass is the main dish of most tracks to be honest)

I could PM a download link to you? One beat is taken so dont really want that floating around on the internet.

And thanks for tuning in!
By dshook Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:30 am
Hey man - digging this tape and your sound in general. I am always curious about others' workflow and process - hoping you would share a bit about your mixdown process to cassette and how you get that nasty fat bass sound?
By marrelarre Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:38 am
dshook wrote:Hey man - digging this tape and your sound in general. I am always curious about others' workflow and process - hoping you would share a bit about your mixdown process to cassette and how you get that nasty fat bass sound?

Thanks man! I can share some, no problem. I make the beat in the MPC with a few outboard pieces such as a studio mixer, a compressor, a effects rack unit + i sample everything through a SP303 and then resample into the MPC.

Then after that I bounce every track individually into Cubase > Mix & Master > bounce to tape a lil bit hot (read quite hot). Im looking into getting a reel to reel instead to make the effect more subtle and not loose as much highs as recording to cassette does.

The bass is basically just a vinyl sample of a open bass ive lowpassed in the MPC and added some resonance to, nothing in the computer at all, just straight raw from the MPC. :nod:
By dshook Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:17 pm
Right on - thanks for the insight

marrelarre wrote:
dshook wrote:Hey man - digging this tape and your sound in general. I am always curious about others' workflow and process - hoping you would share a bit about your mixdown process to cassette and how you get that nasty fat bass sound?

Thanks man! I can share some, no problem. I make the beat in the MPC with a few outboard pieces such as a studio mixer, a compressor, a effects rack unit + i sample everything through a SP303 and then resample into the MPC.

Then after that I bounce every track individually into Cubase > Mix & Master > bounce to tape a lil bit hot (read quite hot). Im looking into getting a reel to reel instead to make the effect more subtle and not loose as much highs as recording to cassette does.

The bass is basically just a vinyl sample of a open bass ive lowpassed in the MPC and added some resonance to, nothing in the computer at all, just straight raw from the MPC. :nod: