Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By astral_Signal Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am
https://soundcloud.com/iz_thewiz/song-8
https://soundcloud.com/iz_thewiz/sets/productions

Just posted a new track. I Wanted to flip this sample for years but could never do it justice until now. You will no doubt recognize the sample, if not dig harder!

All samples recorded from vinyl, sequenced in an MPC 1000, printed and mixed in Pro Tools. A moog 'moogerfooger' MF-101 LPF pedal was used for the bass, this is now my go to piece of equipment for this type of processing. Overall I'm happy with the mix, I've been sitting on this track for a few weeks now and thought it needed more, but sometimes less is more.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to drop some feedback or critique.

Cheers
By The_Sexual_Intellectual Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 am
Nice, I love the Bobby Humphrey Joints. I like how you filtered the bass. Only critique is that i'd find a way to flip that sample a bit more, particularly because it's been used a lot. Of course, when it comes to more obscure joints, you can just loop em up, and they'll sound fresh. That being said. I liked it, and it's unique enough that it was still dope.
By astral_Signal Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 am
Thanks for the listen and for your feedback! I have a 90s mindset when it comes to samples, I like them to be noticeable and they are usually either loops or sections of a loop that are re-arranged in a particular order. Apart from the obvious reasons like sample clearance, I usually don't flip a sample enough that it becomes unrecognisable from its original melody.
By Cockdiesel Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 am
It's got a nice vibe. I recognize the sample but not sure where I have all heard it. Dude said something about chopping it up more, which would be cool, but I really like it the way it is. wish I could hear the bass better but I just have the ipad speakers for now.
By astral_Signal Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am
Thanks for the feedback. I'm processing all bass samples through an analogue moog pedal, I tend to make the low end on my tracks very 'subby'. Low end is very hard to get right, especially in an untreated room like mine.