Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By djkidmt Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:30 pm
I would love some critical feedback, from any one. What you dont like about the track? I tried to create a lot of feel and anticipation by using big maj11 chords played as an ostinato and lots of negative space in between chords to make room for the delicate reverb and delay tails on the percussion and melody. I wish editing was a little easier on the MPC2000 cause I would love to have edited the verse chorus melodies on a piano roll, I was forced to play everything by hand in order to get the right feel and groove. Any advice?
By djkidmt Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm
OKJoy wrote:feelin this! dope vibe. drums and percussion match the chords really well. just wondering, did you sample a synth into the mp?

actually yes, good ear!. I sampled a stereo Juno 106 patch into an s3000xl. Then I applied two s3000xl LFO filters to the sample; one slow and synced and the second filter delayed, de-synced and fast to give the pad a swimming type feel. I played the Major 11 chord by hand on an 8 bar sequence. The chords went into a weird hardware effect chain were they first entered a TC electronic reverb unit and then the wet reverb signal went straight into a TC electronic tape delay preset. This all combined created a really cool underwater swimming type atmosphere that started the track. Thanks for the reply!
By Nakilius Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 am
nice beat :) love the melodies and the overall mood. I especially love the part at 0:42. nice melody. i can feel it.
I reminds me a lot of Lifeformed. Look him up on YT, if you´re interested.
sometimes i am not sure if i like the bassline. i would like it more if you played the bass more inbetween and also shorter.
but its just my preference.
keep up the good work!
By djkidmt Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:42 pm
Nakilius wrote:nice beat :) love the melodies and the overall mood. I especially love the part at 0:42. nice melody. i can feel it.
I reminds me a lot of Lifeformed. Look him up on YT, if you´re interested.
sometimes i am not sure if i like the bassline. i would like it more if you played the bass more inbetween and also shorter.
but its just my preference.
keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comments! I agree with your comments about the bass line. It sounds a little too simple to be interesting beyond its nice tone. I'll def check out lifromed, I havent heard of them before!