Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Lampdog Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:39 pm
bridgealantee wrote:mono pads,and possibly track mutes can do these things as well.

yup
By kneebone77 Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:52 pm
Silverstar wrote:I've been trying to decode the method they use because i find it so crazy original.

You do realize that after you emulate this tecnique it won't be original anymore...
By Logic718 Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 pm
64hz wrote:Man you actually gave it some thought, I was ready to clown you :lol:

That was foul, but funny.

But just to add to what everyone else was saying. I think Dilla really chopped the sh!t out of some of his samples because he had to in order to get most of the instrumentation without vocals. So sometimes you'll get a little vocal hear or there depending on whether it came in to early before the last beat of the bar etc. He did a great job of this on one of his beat cds called "motown" ( I dont know if he really called it that) and he chopped the hell out of a lot of those records, so you will hear random vocals. Some of it may have been by design, but I think most of it was because the samples just didnt have that many open instrumental parts to it.

Logic
By granma Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 am
The method I use to do that is simple:

- Get your usual chops on one track
- Then your aditional strange casual chops on another
- Go to mute mode
- Unmute the casual chop at the same time than you mute the usual-normal one
- Record this on a sequence if you want because, as you propably know, you can record mute changes.

Peace

Silverstar wrote:Hi y'all

It's been a while i'm listening and studying the techniques of beat wizards Madlib & J Dilla.

I'm analysing what i hear and it seams like a lot of times the beat plays and out of nowhere you hear samples coming in but quickly switching off.

Example 1: in Beat Konducta Vol 5-6 the beat "So Much", at 0:40 you can hear what i'm saying. And also at 1:00 it does it again.

Example 2: in Beat Konducta Vol 1-2 the beat "Two Timer", at 0:30 you can even hear a "tick" from when you turn on a switch when the sample chops.....

Example 3: in J Dilla's Donuts album the beat "Don't Cry", at 0:59 a voice sample suddenly comes in for half a second then goes out....

At this point your asking yourself what the hell this guy is trying to tell us....

My question is, do they really chop those beats only using samplers (MPCs, SP12...)??

Because the way i hear those examples i've cited above it sounds like they hit a switch on & off or a mute switch....a bit like when a DJ does the "transformer" technique. Using his mixer switch.

I've been trying to decode the method they use because i find it so crazy original.

I've come to another theory. Maybe they record the beat on a 8 track recorder.
Let's say the main beat on track 1-2 and then the original song on track 3-4.

The beat plays then they hit the switch to track 3-4 for a sec then switch back to track 1-2. Also they could have the same beat playing on track 5-6 and 7-8 but couple sequences later so when they switch to those tracks for a few secs it gives the impression as if they chopped it on the MPC but really is another technique.

Am i the only one thinking those chops are not only made with samplers?

Please share your opinion and really what you think. Sometimes we think too much beats are made only with samplers but maybe other secret techniques exist.

The last example where i think you really can understand what i mean is the track "Airworks" on Donuts. The all song is filled with crazy unexpected chops...especialy at the end you can hear at 1:42 switch from Airworks to Lightworks.
By fasttrackpimp Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:12 am
Madlib uses or incorporates an sp303 into making his beats and the 303 has a gate mode. It's like note off. You can duplicate a phrase and nudge the gate points so it only plays the sections when you press the pad. Quick and simple. I think I heard dilla had or used a 303 too, but don't know.
By mainiakist Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:43 pm
they both just know what kinds of chopps go together and why. its music theory applied to chopping. if you know some music theory it basically tellys you what is a good chop and what chop will go with it. just being creative with musical understanding is why they made such dope cuts. any beat can be made to sound the same regardless of samplers, mpcs, computer software. its all how you go about it and finding different tchniques to use on each. i will say that i guarantee both those guys calculated bpms on evry beat they made. thats why all their tracks seem to fit together so well.
By CrestBeats Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:40 pm
Make your chops come together to sound like a straight loop. Ahh grasshopper just a tiny nugget to get you on your way..
On the real, learning is essential but do YOU. The world is overrun by Dilla biters, and attepts at Lib biting. Use their juice and freak your own funk..

peace

By Lampdog Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:49 am