Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By pipecock Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:21 am
yep... i'm a brand newbie. i've read the manual somewhat thoroughly and it mentions absolutely nothing about sampling from my turntables. what du ****?

all it talks about is the cd rom bullshit and midi crap. now what?

thanks for all the help.
PCK
By dj_evs Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:50 am
>Plug your RCA's from your turntable to the "record in" on the back of your MPC.

>If you have a mixer, you can get rca cables and go from the master out [what I do]of the mixer, and run it into the same "record in" spot on the mpc, so then you can adjust the bass and treble of the record before sampling it.

>I always record in mono. I think a lot of people do this as well, but it helps when you have a sample that is in stereo, it sounds more solid in mono [I know there is a more technical definition to it than that, but that is my definition]

>I also have the threshold in the sample screen set to 0.

>I hope this helped.

By pipecock Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:54 am
gotta do it. come on guys!

::bump::

By pojabo Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:58 am
There are many ways to sample from a turntable. I have a delta 1010LT soundcard on my computer so I can use the internal mixer to sample from a turntable by hooking the turntable input and output into the input and output on the delta1010 sound card. But in your case I would say get a mixer and hook the output of your turntable into the input of the mixer and the output of the mixer into the input of you turntable. You need a mixer so the MPC can receive the signal from your turntable. So when you get a mixer you can sample from your turntable. Just put the record on your turntable and push shift and 4 (sample) on the MPC, set the signal and you should be all set. I hope this is helpful. Other people might be able to give you more advice but I hope this post is clear. If you don't have a internal or external mixer, then you will need one. Hope this helps

By BreakMyFever Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:36 am
I have an amplifier with a "Tape Monitor" input/output, which (according to the manual of my amplifier) you use to monitor your recordings, when using a classic tape device with 3 heads, so you're able to hear how your recording sounds when you're recording.

This "Tape Monitor" input/output I use to connect my MPC to, so the MPC output goes into the "Tape Monitor" input of my amplifier, and the MPC input goes into the "Tape Monitor" output. This way I'm able to monitor the sound I'm sampling into the MPC (to set the correct Rec level on the MPC), and I'm able to sample from turntable as the signal coming out of the "Tape Monitor" output is at "line level" as it has passed my amplifier pre-amp.

By TheHypeArchetype Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:34 pm
Regardless of your chosen method, you need to amplify your turntable. It doesn't output at line level, so you need some sort fo amp (preferrably a DJ mixer)

Just my two copper.

By ErrolT Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:16 am
You'll need an RIAA input (like on a DJ mixer or anything with a good old fashioned phono input). Just bringing the phono signal up to line level (like with a microphone input on a normal mixer) won't solve the problem - you need the steep EQ of an RIAA input stage or you'll get a very thin, useless sound.

E