Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By thelostkid Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 am
Ive been trying to figure it out own my own but ive had no luck so i thought id come on here and ask. How do i extract an one certan sound from a song? Like if i like a certen snare from this song and a kick from a differnt one. How can i get them bythemselves no backround noise?
By thx Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 am
what do you mean exactly?
you have to create a sample for every sound you want:
record the sound in the machine then chop the sample and assign it to a pad.

the sound quality depends on the source from which you're sampling the drum/sound.
i.e.: if you sample an old vinyl it's often impossible to obtain a sound with no background noises, but many producers are hunting the dirty sound of a used (and scratched) vintage record.

if you want a clear sound sample from cd or other digital source
the quality of the mixer you are using to send sounds to the sampler is obviously affecting the sound too
hope this can help
By thelostkid Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 pm
i know how to sample and put it on the pad. wat i wanna know how to do is take the drum sound from a song. and by background noise i meant the other sounds in the song. i just wanna get the boom bap from the song not the all the sounds along with it. na mean?
By nogginj Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:32 pm
There's no one way to do it. It's not like you are missing out on some secret technique that people use to extract sounds, the bottom line is there is no sure fire way to separate instruments once they are mixed into a track.

However, you can try. In that regard you basically have every audio tool and effect at your disposal to try and 'isolate' the sound you want.
Gating is an option.
EQing can get you closer.
Center cancellation is another way (look up vocal removal).
Finding the same sound from a different part in the song with less instruments is probably the best bet though.

It's the same thing as let's say you have a photo of a dog sitting in front of a tree. You can't just 'extract' the tree from behind the dog, because the photo is already made. However, you could get creative and color the dog the same color as the tree, copy/paste different parts of the tree, etc etc.
By roxstar Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 am
The best tool you have for sampling drums is your ears. Pay attention for the drums with enough space for you to snatch. Make it easy on yourself. Don't waste time trying to isolate drums...you might find the same snare on another song from the same album, or from a different album from the same artist! :)
By fathertime Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 am
Man Ive been struggling with this too. Clean drums, with the decay or reverb intact are tough to find sometimes. Seems like most times they are in the first 10 seconds of a song. Ive found a few, but mostly I sample direct off drum machines I already have. I HAVE found a real good break that I dont think anyone has ever used, but chopping it to my liking and rearranging it, arrrgghhhh its not so easy.
By Aries Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 pm
thelostkid wrote:what is gating and EQing?
If you don't even know what these 2 things mean, what are you doing making music? You need to some serious research before proceeding with a music career. I mean even if you just do it for fun. Eq'ing is one of the most important thing in good sounding music.

And like everyone else has stated, you need to find the drum break.(The part where the song breaks down to just the drums) There will usually be one. If there isn't then your outta luck with that song your trying to sample. Ive sampled Drum hits from the middle of a song tho and sometimes it works out...but you might have a bass note or hi hats/cymbal layered on the hit as well, which can add to your own drum pattern. But yea, if i were you id start by reading about what an equalizer is and does. And id probably start by obtaining some simple drum packs for your sounds as sampling/using sampled drums isn't as easy as it seems. it will get easier with time once you understand how to edit and use eq/gate/attak/decay/compresson etc etc.. and other tools used...
By Clint Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:17 pm
Aries wrote:
thelostkid wrote:what is gating and EQing?
If you don't even know what these 2 things mean, what are you doing making music?

Go easy on the lad, he's clearly new to this.

I'm sure most of us were too once upon a time...

Check out past threads in the Production Techniques forum, and this thread on chopping on the 2000XL.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138284

Another thread on drum breaks and how to deal with overlapping sounds.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127610
By peterpiper Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 am
fathertime wrote:Man Ive been struggling with this too. Clean drums, with the decay or reverb intact are tough to find sometimes. Seems like most times they are in the first 10 seconds of a song. Ive found a few, but mostly I sample direct off drum machines I already have. I HAVE found a real good break that I dont think anyone has ever used, but chopping it to my liking and rearranging it, arrrgghhhh its not so easy.

really????? name???

peace
By thelostkid Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 am
Is ther an equalizer on my mpc or would i have to get a mixer? Im already gonna get a mixer pretty soon so either way i wuld have one. And yes i am very new to this so cut me some slack man damn no need to make me feel like i suck at music knowladge just because i dont know a few terms.