Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By xparis001 Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm
it's not a fail if you're a 3000 user.

Actually, this was one of our biggest requests. MPC3000 users wanted the numbers. they want to be able to edit the old school way, and everyone agreed it was important to do it both ways. so we do numbers on the LCD, waveforms on the big screen.
By cyrus Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 pm
I think it is okay.

I suspect what will happen is that everyone "thinks" they are gonna use this the same as they do thier stand alone mpc's, but for the simple fact that you now added the computer, you won't (i dont mean this in a negative way).

yeah, youll be able to not look at the monitor and it will feel just like an mpc, but i think in the end it will be a combination/hybrid use....even if you are hardcore trying to only use the controller to load samples, edit samples, sequence, etc.,

you will still use the monitor for certain tasks....and you will go for the mouse on certain tasks.....when you have a giant monitor in front of your face its kind of an easy choice when you are trying to zoom in on that start point - even if you are use to using your ears.....when you got a 27" monitor in front of your mpc, you gravitate to looking at it. or forexample, you just layed down some drums and want to copy and paste the pattern, or nudge the notes, or drag some new drums to pads, etc. youll be using that fckn mouse more than you think!

this is why i think its important that all the "no looky at monitor" functionality is nailed...but also, the software is intuitive for the "only software" use.......but then there is some thought put on the "hybrid" use of toggling between the two.

bottom line is, if the hardware is intuitive, and the software is intuitive, i dont matter wtf you use, youll gravitate towards whats the best for your workflow and situation.
By tapedeck Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:52 pm
xparis001 wrote:everyone agreed it was important to do it both ways. so we do numbers on the LCD, waveforms on the big screen.

:mrgreen:
clever way to address that i think that is cool.

cyrus wrote:I suspect what will happen is that everyone "thinks" they are gonna use this the same as they do thier stand alone mpc's, but for the simple fact that you now added the computer, you won't (i dont mean this in a negative way).

AMEN. this is what kind of drives me crazy about the speculation and assumption and even feature requesting going on around here...nobody has used it and everybody is an expert. :lol:

keep that in mind xparis and keep doing a great job ;].
By scoobylol Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 pm
I think this without doubt has been the most concise video so far. Good breakdown of features with all the important questions answered and he's British, so he gets immediate bonus points. More of this, and less of those London Producer reaction videos please Akai. :lol:

When it comes to using a VST instrument, do you still have the effects slots available on the track? If you do, is that limited to the 50 bundled effects or can you load a VST instrument and then use 4 seperate third party effects (assuming your computer doesn't die)?
By xparis001 Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm
scoobylol wrote:I think this without doubt has been the most concise video so far. Good breakdown of features with all the important questions answered and he's British, so he gets immediate bonus points. More of this, and less of those London Producer reaction videos please Akai. :lol:

When it comes to using a VST instrument, do you still have the effects slots available on the track? If you do, is that limited to the 50 bundled effects or can you load a VST instrument and then use 4 seperate third party effects (assuming your computer doesn't die)?

Hey, I liked the producer reaction video :P

That was me talking to all those guys, btw.

As to the effects slots available, each effect slot can be populated by an internal effect or a VST effect. so you can technically have 4 vst effects on each pad, which is pretty nuts. each track can have 4 inserts, which can be VST or included plugin, and theres a 4 buss send which can be VST or internal, and the master buss has 4 slots, and they can be VST or internal.
By scoobylol Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm
Of course you do mate you work for Akai. Its just that their reactions were a bit strange, they spent more time talking about the original models than the Renaissance and there was no footage of them even using it.

A strange way to promote a product, but I'm not here to undermine your marketing strategy, and it's nice to see an Akai presence on the boards more importantly!!!

No no, I've read the breakdown of effects slots available. My question is...

When NOT using the controller in MPC mode, but instead using it in PLUGIN mode like Andy Mac showed on the video... are those same effects slots still available?

So lets say I'm using my Renaissance to control Omnisphere, can I then put Vintage Warmer etc... in the track inserts?
By master-ceo Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:45 pm
tapedeck wrote:AMEN. this is what kind of drives me crazy about the speculation and assumption and even feature requesting going on around here...nobody has used it and everybody is an expert. :lol:

keep that in mind xparis and keep doing a great job ;].

+1 I like some of the requests, but I would like AKAI to do their thing first, then after the Official release we can get into all the ine mine mine mo shit.

Other than Hardware control Changes let AKAI do their thing.
By xparis001 Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 pm
scoobylol wrote:No no, I've read the breakdown of effects slots available. My question is...

When NOT using the controller in MPC mode, but instead using it in PLUGIN mode like Andy Mac showed on the video... are those same effects slots still available?

So lets say I'm using my Renaissance to control Omnisphere, can I then put Vintage Warmer etc... in the track inserts?

To answer your questions -

1. all slots are still available in Plugin mode, yes.

2. if you have a vst loaded in a track, you can also add a VST effect or internal effect to that track's insert slot.

is that what you meant?
By Retrofreak Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:17 pm
@xparis001

1. Will VST plugin names and parameters be visible and controllable from the MPC eliminating the need to look at the computer screen?.

2. Have you incorporated the classic MPC 60/3000 'Gain Switch'? as overdriving the gain on samples added to the sound imo.
By xparis001 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 pm
Retrofreak wrote:@xparis001

1. Will VST plugin names and parameters be visible and controllable from the MPC eliminating the need to look at the computer screen?.

2. Have you incorporated the classic MPC 60/3000 'Gain Switch'? as overdriving the gain on samples added to the sound imo.

1. yes they will be shown on the hardware screen as well as in the sw.

2. yes, we have the same gain staging as the 3000. we label the switch line / mic, but it does the same thing. The original MPC3000 had a three position switch, but we went with a 2 because it was more definable, and you can get the same result by toggling high or low and adjusting the rec gain knob.
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm
lol.. sorry but I couldn't help it.. :lol:

... but, when using the mpc60 mode.. can you be limited to 26 seconds of sample time? And is there a vintage mpc60 mode without the memory expansion where you are limited to 13 seconds? Also, will there be a pre-3.10 mpc 60 mode where each sample is limited to 5 seconds? hahaha... teach them software only cats what things were like! heehee...
By Retrofreak Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 pm
xparis001 wrote:
Retrofreak wrote:@xparis001

1. yes they will be shown on the hardware screen as well as in the sw.

2. yes, we have the same gain staging as the 3000. we label the switch line / mic, but it does the same thing. The original MPC3000 had a three position switch, but we went with a 2 because it was more definable, and you can get the same result by toggling high or low and adjusting the rec gain knob.

Thanks, thats great news.

Will the REN have any effects and processors based on your previous MPC's? as I find the below really useful:

MPC 2000/XL effects board
MPC 1000 Compressor, EQ
MPC 5000 synth