The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By sciguy Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:45 pm
These look awesome (link)
But $50? I'm too cheap for that.
And I've got free time this weekend, so...

tracing skillz

block plane skillz

file skillz

line skillz

utility knife skillz

chizel skillz

not hollow

hollow

front view

side view

Moar pics to come as I make the other one, add all the little tabs and loops, stain, and finish them...
By b.read Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm
Dig the thread man...keep the pics of the skillz comin'. :)
By sciguy Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm
The second one went way quicker than the first (just a tiny bit more sloppy...)

I probably won't post any more pics tonight, but when I do post an update, get ready for lots of glue skillz.

All the little tabs and thing are gonna be a pain... I just glued what will be the screw hole tabs, with a ton of woodglue, so it's going to take a while to dry.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:32 am
b.read wrote:Dig the thread man...keep the pics of the skillz comin'. :)

"Skillz" thread, lmao. Genius.
By ceasi Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 am
A man should be good with his hands, and sir, u r. Nice 8)
By sciguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:10 am
Eh, you spoke too soon. Apparently my skillz are intermittent.

The second cap was 1/8" too short. Apparently I don't have measuring skillz.
Then the third one I accidentally made a big chip in while using my file skillz.
And the glue skillz I mentioned, I positioned the tabs I glued on wrong and it didn't fit into the side of the mpc. So scrap those tabs.

Fail skillz.

Ah well, I guess I'll just try again tomorrow.
By scoobylol Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

I did a similar thing for my Mackie mixer as you can see.

Those are looking nice though sciguy. Only thing I'd suggest from looking at the pictures is when you were drawing round the original it might have been an idea to place it flush against part of the wood that was already flat and finished. Although in fairness the top of yours looks fine.

Bit of varnish and you're away! Go team "broke but with access to tools". 8)
By b.read Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 pm
sciguy wrote:Eh, you spoke too soon. Apparently my skillz are intermittent.

The second cap was 1/8" too short. Apparently I don't have measuring skillz.
Then the third one I accidentally made a big chip in while using my file skillz.
And the glue skillz I mentioned, I positioned the tabs I glued on wrong and it didn't fit into the side of the mpc. So scrap those tabs.

Fail skillz.

Ah well, I guess I'll just try again tomorrow.

Bah! Just need to bone up on your perseverance and patience skillz. 8)

I would like to have a wood shop one day...I want to make a canoe like Ron Swanson... 8)

By m:t:c Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm
Don't have carpentry skills or access to a woodshop, so $50 doesn't sound too bad to me ;)
By b.read Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 pm
Same here...though I most likely won't buy a set.

Weren't they originally something like, $120/set?
By sciguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 pm
b.read wrote:Bah! Just need to bone up on your perseverance and patience skillz. 8)

Never said I was giving up! :D

And scoobylol, the mixer looks nice. Too bad the 1202vlz3 (my mixer) has a U-shaped aluminum piece covering the bottom and sides, else I'd definitely try it too!

Anyway...

Utility knife cross lap joint skillz

Glueing skillz

Sweeping skillz
(ignore all the random junk surrounding my dad's workbench)

Keeping the workplace organized skillz

And now, waiting skillz, I had put a lot of glue on those joints...
By b.read Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 pm
sciguy wrote:And now, waiting skillz, I had put a lot of glue on those joints...

That's where the drinking skillz come into play... :)
By JVC Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm
Having seen all this, I think that the price of the wood side panels can be justified. I didn't realize that it has to be curved (this will take more than a day, and you have to do it for two sides!
By sciguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 pm
b.read wrote:That's where the drinking skillz come into play... :)

I might hold off on learning those skillz, I'm only 15... :lol:
I suppose I could drink milk or soda or something, but I don't think those would have the effect you're talking about. :)

JVC wrote:Having seen all this, I think that the price of the wood side panels can be justified. I didn't realize that it has to be curved (this will take more than a day, and you have to do it for two sides!

I would guess that the MPCstuff ones (haven't seen them, so can't say for sure) are CNC'd or at least made with power tools. I'm making mine with hand tools my dad happens to have along with wood I found lying around. A bandsaw, gouges, better wood, and a power sander (all of which I know how to use, but just don't have them at m house) would make the process so much easier. Some kind of router, which I don't know how to use, would probably also make the hollowing out much easier.
By b.read Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:50 pm
sciguy wrote:
b.read wrote:That's where the drinking skillz come into play... :)

I might hold off on learning those skillz, I'm only 15... :lol:
I suppose I could drink milk or soda or something, but I don't think those would have the effect you're talking about. :)

Ah...you're prolly right. May be best to leave that to the pros. 8)