Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tapedeck Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:12 pm
bcc4life wrote:i just want one that doesnt sound terrible and will last a while

i understand, but words like 'sound terrible', 'good quality' ... i mean this all means different stuff to different people and have different levels.

mixers range everywhere from $50 - $2000, even more.

it will work, and you can upgrade later. but it's not going to sound or last like a more expensive mixer.

i would recommend a used vestax like a pmc 05. or just get that, you'll be fine.
By TheScratchNemesis Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 pm
Being a turntablist, I've owned both the vestax pmc 05 and 06 mixers. Both lasted a long time, as there are designed to take a good pounding. You can pick up either of these mixers used at a good price, but I would recommend you try before you buy as there are some rotters out there that have been thrashed to pieces. The only differences between the 05 and 06 is the size and the fact that the 06 doesn't have a mic input, apart for that there both the same mixer in terms of circuity, faders, eq, spec etc.

Personally in my opinion you find both this mixer ideal for what you want to use them for and for a good price too.
By Pastor-of-Muppets Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:48 pm
bcc4life wrote:are vextax better

if you are asking this question here then you probably aren't going to be able to tell the difference - if you were expert enough or had amazing audiophile hearing then you wouldn't need to ask

it's not the case that all vestax mixers are better than numark or vice versa, the top-of-the-range numark or stanton mixers will be better than a mid-range vestax, and the best vestax will be better than a mid-range numark, so your question is meaningless.

just buy a mixer, it'll work fine for what you need it to do
By CAPO816 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:24 am
Let me jump in and say something, well ask something. I have an mpc 2000xl and I use a numark TT-1510 turntable I never have and currently do not use a pre amp or anything with it just RCA to 1/4 mono dual cables and i sample without any problems sound is loud and clear. Am I doing something wrong by not having a pre amp?
By tapedeck Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 am
CAPO816 wrote:Let me jump in and say something, well ask something. I have an mpc 2000xl and I use a numark TT-1510 turntable I never have and currently do not use a pre amp or anything with it just RCA to 1/4 mono dual cables and i sample without any problems sound is loud and clear. Am I doing something wrong by not having a pre amp?

when a record is cut, the bass is reduced a whole hell of a lot.
this is the eq curve a preamp applies to compensate for this and bring it back to normal.
so if you sample without a preamp, your sounds probably lack bass, and of course the gain has to be turned up a lot which raises the noise floor.

i am not sure if the turntable you have has a preamp built in - some do.
i would ask though when you are sampling if your record gain is cranked all the way to the right.
By CAPO816 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:03 am
@TAPEDECK LOL man ur too smart g yea record gain Is all the way up so with a preamp will make it sound better? nd u saying im missing out on bass!!! Lol
By tapedeck Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:38 am
CAPO816 wrote:@TAPEDECK LOL man ur too smart g yea record gain Is all the way up so with a preamp will make it sound better? nd u saying im missing out on bass!!! Lol

no big deal really - that's an easy one.

but yes you are missing on a lot of bass (take that eq curve curve i posted and reverse it - that is the eq you are getting by not using a preamp).

but as for 'am i doing something wrong'...no you cant 'do it wrong'...you can do it outside the norm but if you like it, keep doing it. you might start a new trend of no bass all treble in music (mark my words we will see it in the next 5 years).