Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Jake Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 am
I'm using the Ren as my audio interface so I have my monitors coming right out of the Ren's outputs. The problem is when I raise or lower the volume the right output makes a scratchy/static noise. It sounds fine when the volume level isn't being adjusted. I have tried switching monitor outs left to right and it just switches which monitor makes the scratching sound so I know it's the Ren and not my monitors. If I'm not adjusting the volume it sounds fine.

TLDR - Main volume out right side static noise during adjustment - Does anyone else have this?
By Metatron72 Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:50 am
Jake wrote:I'm using the Ren as my audio interface so I have my monitors coming right out of the Ren's outputs. The problem is when I raise or lower the volume the right output makes a scratchy/static noise. It sounds fine when the volume level isn't being adjusted. I have tried switching monitor outs left to right and it just switches which monitor makes the scratching sound so I know it's the Ren and not my monitors. If I'm not adjusting the volume it sounds fine.

TLDR - Main volume out right side static noise during adjustment - Does anyone else have this?

Balanced or unbalanced cables to the monitors? Sounds like unbalanced cables. Try a new set hopefully balanced. If it still does the same behavior then yes it would possibly be the Ren's output. I have alleviated that same issue on other gear simply by using balanced cables for the interference rejection,that may be the cause of your distortion. I hope so, wouldn't want your new Ren to be faulty.
By Metatron72 Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:08 am
Jake wrote:Balanced TRS cables are being used.

Yikes. I'd try another set if you can borrow some. If the monitors have XLR jacks I might try with a set of TRS to XLR balanced ones. They are prone to even less potential interference or distortion than TRS to TRS 1/4's. If it's still an issue it would likely be the output of the Ren with the issue.

It was a cheap $150 Presonus Audiobox I had this issue with. Exact same thing, volume stationary, all good, raise it and crackling and distortion. Happened with balanced and unbalanced, the balanced just did it without picking up extra hum (and radio stations) along the way.

Good luck bro, even under warranty I'm sure it would be a pain to get a replacement for a while given the scarcity of units. Glad it's otherwise useable for you in the meantime.
By viacom Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:58 am
Thats probably the "3000" emulation your hearing

when you switch it to "60" mode does the actual unit get a hi pitch whine coming from under the data wheel somewhere, and does the backlight go dim?

it wouldn't be authentic without those features.

for real tho, a scratchy pot on a brand new unit?! you might want to tell akai, before you get out the old contact cleaner.
By Airyck Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm
I repaired music equipment for a living for quite a while.

Sounds like it could be a dirty pot or there is even the possibility that it's damaged or defective.

Occasionally I'd find that it was something worse, a blown or shorted component putting voltage on the pot that isn't supposed to be there but that was more rare.

With the unit off you could try just turning the knob back and forth a bunch of times (25 to 50 times), sometimes it's just a piece of dust on the contact internally and moving it back and forth will sometimes break it loose.

I'd check with a AKAI if you don't feel confident in messing with repairing it yourself, especially since it's under warranty and opening it would probably void your warranty.
By tapedeck Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:14 pm
this has nothing to do with balanced cables.

your volume pot is bad. akai continues to mention how the pot is an analog volume control, so that would make sense.

since this is a brand new unit :shock: i would just get a replacement.
or just try what homedude above suggest - just turn it a bunch try to dislodge any gunk that might be in it.

but again - a scratchy pot on $1000+ brand new gear is crazy. i guess it could have broken during shipping - how is the packaging?
By Jake Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:58 pm
It happens in all Vintage Modes as well. I tried spinning the Main Volume over 50 times but it still makes the right side scratchy pot noise.
I forgot to mention that it only happens when sound or music is playing be it the MPC software or iTunes etc. The Volume is not scratchy if it is spun while it has no music output.
It's too late to call Akai today I will do it Monday.
By Ill-Green Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:32 pm
Yeah, replace it while the warranty is good or exchange at the retailer you got it from. I had that problem with an old amp when I accidently spilled some beer on it. Another time was when I was carrying some amps in a bookbag and I was caught in heavy rainfall. Replace ASAP, in the meantime, find some old G.I.JOEs and spray them with alcohol and burn them, they look really cool melting, like that dude in Robocop.
By Airyck Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:14 pm
He already flipped the cables and knows its the MPC. Does the crackle happen at the same position in the turn? So at an absolute position? Turn it very slow an listen to where it crackles. If its the exact same spot you have a bad pot. If its random you probably have a bad component shorted applying unwanted voltage to the pot. Either way something is wrong. A little deoxit in the pot might clean it up but you'd have to open it up..... So I'd say send it in or replace it or get it repaired under warranty, it's an easy fix for a qualified repair tech
By m:t:c Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:34 pm
Don't listen to any1 suggesting to open it up or doing any such stuff that'd void your warranty.

If it's not working as it should, contact the seller / Akai and get it fixed. That's what the warranty's for.