Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By NicDefn Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:50 pm
Hey everyone!

(sorry if i've posted in the wrong area of the site. but theres loads of people with tons of knowledge here) :worthy:

Just wondering if anyone new the most efficient way to transfer sound files from mac os x to an AKAI S950 via a SD card reader on the unit.

Basically i've already formatted the SD card to MSDOS Fat 32 and have loaded a bunch of akai disk images on the sd card which are being read properly by the AKAI S950.

But what i need to work out is how do i convert say a kick drum sample to these DSKA0001.HFE files, load it on the SD card then load it on to the AKAI s950 via the internal SD card reader.

if anyone can shed some light on this then drinks on me!

Cheers
Nick
By LoopTheCrook Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 pm
I think HFE file is a floppy file, what you're looking for is wav to SND converter...
By peterpiper Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 pm
NicDefn wrote:
Just wondering if anyone new the most efficient way to transfer sound files from mac os x to an AKAI S950 via a SD card reader on the unit.

The most efficient way is to not use the SD card but actual connect via audio cable and sample on the 950. I don't really see a reason for the transfer via card. The time you need to put the card into the mac, copy the soundfile on the card, take out the card and put it in the 950, load the sample on the 950 is more than the time you need to sample and set the start and end point of the sample (and I didn't even count in the converting of the samples on the mac to 12bit if this is really neccessery).
The benefit of really sampling on the 950 is (you might know that) the A/D converter the sample has to pass.

The benefit of the card reader in the 950 is the much easier way of handling compared with 100s of floppys and the the easy way to make backup images on a PC or mac

peace
By LoopTheCrook Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:48 pm
^ this, the AD is the magic...

... but if you really want to transfer it via card.

you first need to convert file to *.snd
than you need to import that file into HFE file
and that file onto sd card.

too much work if you ask me... and you won't get the bite that 9-50 produces.
By sonnobadger Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am
I just bought a S950... It has midi issue and need to go see the doctor so I was planning putting a floppy emulator into it at the same time, but after reading this I'm not sure. If I plan to use the same 20 floppies, there's no point to put a SD card into it I guess? It's more for someone who have a lot of programs. I should consider buying memory first maybe?

Thank you.
By Wal Martian Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 am
peterpiper wrote:The most efficient way is to not use the SD card but actual connect via ̶a̶u̶d̶i̶o̶ MIDI cable and s̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶9̶5̶0̶...
Use s900dump
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3066410/s900dump.zip

Like peterpiper said it won't color the sound with the s950 A/D or circuitry but s900dump is the most efficient way.
By sonnobadger Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 pm
I was using a digital input on the S1100 to import my sound into the sampler. So from what I understand they're no need to install the digital input into a S950, you simply use the analog input in the front. That's good for me. Concerning installing a floppy emulator, is a sd card read faster into the s950 or it is the same time of a floppy? If it is fast to navigate between programs I will consider it. If not, I quite like floppy.
By Horseclick Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:03 pm
sonnobadger wrote:I was using a digital input on the S1100 to import my sound into the sampler. So from what I understand they're no need to install the digital input into a S950, you simply use the analog input in the front. That's good for me. Concerning installing a floppy emulator, is a sd card read faster into the s950 or it is the same time of a floppy? If it is fast to navigate between programs I will consider it. If not, I quite like floppy.

floppy emulators are just that they emulate floppies and are take the same time to load.

a s950 with a ib109 + scsi2d is a thousand times faster.

but the ib109 is uber rare (og model with digital ins) but i think artmix did a small run with just the scsi connection not sure if he has any more.
By peterpiper Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:07 am
I havn't change my opinion :)
1. to get samples into the 950 use an audio connection and sample.
2. To store your samples and programs use the floppy emulator.
3. each week or so take the card to your computer and save evrything on HDD, another SD card or CD or USB stick.

AFAIK the ib109 is not only rare but it also can't won't work with SCSI drives in general but only a few models. So that is no option IMO
The transfer of samples via MIDI is megaslow (Ok for single drumhits but not for long samples)
peace