Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By pixie42 Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 pm
BoyOfVirtue wrote:
Pixie, please keep us updated as to whether the different power supply has solved the crackling problem.

I'm sorry to inform you that the cracklings came back this morning. Got rid of them by switching to record mode and selecting analog/digital inputs and back again.

The regulated power supply is definitely not the ultimate solution. But since I haven't been bothered much by the cracklings recently it might help somehow. Anyway it's only a ten dollars investment, and it might protect one day your precious gear from a power surge or a lightning strike.
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:32 pm
pixie42 wrote:
BoyOfVirtue wrote:
Pixie, please keep us updated as to whether the different power supply has solved the crackling problem.

I'm sorry to inform you that the cracklings came back this morning. Got rid of them by switching to record mode and selecting analog/digital inputs and back again.

The regulated power supply is definitely not the ultimate solution. But since I haven't been bothered much by the cracklings recently it might help somehow. Anyway it's only a ten dollars investment, and it might protect one day your precious gear from a power surge or a lightning strike.

Damnit!!! :WTF: :-D Well thanks for keeping us updated. Yeah I think it's on the board somewhere after the output gets separated between the individual outs and the stereo/headphone outs. Volume pot seemed plausible, but doesn't seem like it did the trick here.

It really is too bad...such a powerful machine marred by this inconvenience. I wouldn't feel right about selling it either, even though it would be easy to cover up the issue to a prospective buyer. Too bad
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 pm
**** wrote:
BoyOfVirtue wrote:The problem appears only on one channel.

I had it happen on both channels of the main out. But never on the individual outs!

It's always on the right channel of the stereo outs and the headphone outs...even with the sound panned all the way to the left, the crackles remain. Never through the individual outs, that does seem to be consistent for everyone.

I've heard of this issue with 5-6 other 2500 users and yours is the first one that has had the crackling come through both channels.
By quietb4storm Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm
Greetings All,

So let me get right to it.

1. I've changed the volume pot and that did helpe with static and cackling sounds coming from the left side or left output of the MPC. However, it did not completely solve the problem.

2. While using the 8 ins and outs as well as the headphone Jack, I notice there was noise in mix so sprayed and cleaned all of the inputs and outputs. That worked for a little while but the problem came back. This forced me to use the Digital input and output to work on the MPC. Ive been doing that for a few years now and never addressed the issue with the analog ports. Occasionally ill notice a flare up in the digital out put but it wouldn't last very long. So for now i still use the DIGITAL INs and OUTs.

3. I've read the thread of all the things that where done and here is what i plan to do.

a. I will change the power input jack connection , that's $12
b. I will change the head phone PCB card, that's $110
c. I will change the ADA 8 input and output pcb card, that's $170

That's a total of $290 bucks if i buy the parts off of mpcstuff.com. Here is the catch 22. Its likely ill need to replace the main board as well since all of the boards connect to the main board. Not only that, ive had some problems where the MPC would just freeze or cut off. Not sure if that's a JJOS issue or just because its time to refurbish this particular MPC.

Now the main PC board cost $375. That would make the total $667 not to include the cost of the JJos . For that price (well add few 100 more maybe 2-300) you could find a new one but you'd be taking a chance unless you bought it from a reputable source.

So im willing to do this because (in my opinion) there is still value in having an MPC 2500 in a home studio. I love the compressor and the overall analog sound on the MPC 2500. Don't forget the many midi connections, this comes in handy if you have multiple keyboards and you want to control them all with one device and just record the audio\midi into the DAW when your done creating. It works with FL studio and any other DAW you use if you know what your doing. The sound the MPC has is authentic and will allow you to craft \ engineer your sound. So for me... ill spend the 600+ bucks to have that edge over the average producer. Just my perspective. Plus its fun for me.. even though i hate having to spend that cash. lol.
By richie Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:20 am
@quietb4storm I really hope that you don't have to spend all that cash just to have this issue fixed man.
By Triple-X Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:24 pm
I'm normally not in the business of reviving 8 year old threads, and despite the fact that there hasn't been a post for literally 2 years.. the thread IS mine.. and I did JUST come across the SAME issue again so F it! In the interest of potentially helping someone.. I SHALL REVIVE IT!!!!! :fku: :nod:

So after customizing a 2500 for a friend, I ran into this issue. The MPC came to me with a BIG screen and JJOS128 on it. I never used it with that setup. I got right to installing a new black normal sized LCD, reverting back to Akai 1.24, then JJOS free then JJOSXL. Then I started playing with it and noticed that mysterious crackling!! I was mortified to say the least. I contacted the owner who said he noticed it as well. So here Im anticipating having to go thru similar headaches I went through years ago(as recorded in this thread).

BUT.. Prior to doing all THAT ish.. I said to myself "maybe its the OS". I flashed it again installing the default akai OS, and like MAGIC it was GONE!! Ive installed I dont even know how many versions of JJOS at this point.. Free, OS1, OS2, OSXL.. all of them in various orders where possible, and NO MORE CRACKLES!!

SOOOOOO!! If you have this issue.. do a google search, and land on THIS page.. TRY some Operating System install swaps and see where that gets you! Fixed the issue for me this time around, 8 years after the first time. Jeeez. I wish I was this smart THEN! :lol:

GOOD LUCK
By saltmcgault Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 am
Dang... i never felt so un-alone in my life. lol Ive had issues with rice crispys noises on samples. This might sound stupid but i think it has something to do with static electricity. im always shocking the %#$@ out of my self in my apt. So now when im about to slap the pads i make sure i have shoes on and "if" i hear crackling noises i shut off my 2500 and completely unplug it and my other equipment so far that seems to be what the problem is. "Fingers crossed" ive never had this problem before and i bought mine in 2006. hopefully this will help somebody out, or if anybody has any ideas how to stop this annoying occurance. Good Luck yall!!
By saltmcgault Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm
saltmcgault wrote:Dang... i never felt so un-alone in my life. lol Ive had issues with rice crispys noises on samples. This might sound stupid but i think it has something to do with static electricity. im always shocking the %#$@ out of my self in my apt. So now when im about to slap the pads i make sure i have shoes on and "if" i hear crackling noises i shut off my 2500 and completely unplug it and my other equipment so far that seems to be what the problem is. "Fingers crossed" ive never had this problem before and i bought mine in 2006. hopefully this will help somebody out, or if anybody has any ideas how to stop this annoying occurance. Good Luck yall!!

UPDATE: Upon further review, I'm an idiot. lol I still get shocked to s&%# even when i have shoes on and sometimes unplugging everything before turning on my mpc before or after the crackling it still happens it seems to be coming from my right stereo out put on my mpc. so when i sample i change the sample to left mono and that eliminates the crackling, although i shouldn't have to do that. If anybody has an idea on how to fix this issue that would be awesome.
By DJ Instramental Jay Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:13 pm
Flashed the OS a bunch of times going back, and forth from 1.24 to free JJOS, and the crackling still persists!

What sucks is when the crackling starts on my 2500 it will actually cause restarts!
For some reason this 2500 doesn’t like to run JJOS as the crackling, and restarts are more prevalent on free jjos. It doesn’t happen as much with 1.24 but it still crackles then restarts from time to time on the original OS.

I have found out that the digital in/out on this 2500 doesn’t even work! Mpcstuff sold me a lemon w/ non working parts very irritating . When I first purchased this 2500 it worked great for months then started having this cracking/restarting problem. I’m wondering if they did something to hide the issue. Of course I couldn’t return it because it started happening after the 90 day warranty :lol:

What’s strange is that this crackling/restarting issue won’t show for a few days on the original OS…I can go all day with no crackling/restarts other times it happens very frequently. Switching the input to digital (in record mode) then changing the mode to mono L/R I can hear little pops, and sometimes doing this stops the crackling, but It will eventually it will restart by itself.

A few lessons learned here:

1. never buy used 1400$ Mpc’s from mpcstuff.com

2. Don’t not try, and fix this issue as it seems not worth the money, time, and headaches!

3. Do not be a POS (like mpcstuff), and try to re-sell this to an unsuspecting customer. I will let them know it has issues, and maybe they can buy it for the parts that do work.